Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: City in Conflict (2-8)
TiberiumWeb.org Community Forums > Hosted Projects > The Dawn of the Tiberium Age > Maps
Rampastring
The mapping spirit hit me again and I decided to do another map for DTA although I originally thought of retiring from mapping two years ago.

Remake of my spotlighted TS map "City in Conflict" for DTA.

Since I'm so lazy I'll just quote the original TS map's description instead of writing a new one:
Most of the players start from a large island covering the smaller islands, but they need to attack other players from the smaller islands. All the islands are connected to other islands with bridges.

Like in my previous maps, there are small amounts of tiberium next to the players, but the most of the tiberium is between the players.

No triggers included, although the original map had plenty.. triggers aren't that important in multiplayer maps in my opinion (although I had fun creating some of the civilian self-defense triggers in the original map).

Naval units are enabled for Enchanced Mode (without the "no build options in classic mode" bug which exists in Connexion and Delirious Island).
I'm not sure if I should have placed more tunnels under the bridges, but I think the current ones are enough.

Mini-Megamap:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

By the way, while testing this map I noticed that Hovers can go over some shore cliffs and I also noticed one more serious bug with hovers (although I haven't tested if it's because of this map).
Devastator
Nice map. Very alike to the other one.
So even though we can download these maps, some of them may be in DTA 1.11?

I did see the shore cliff bug while playing.
Rampastring
QUOTE (Devastator @ Apr 20 2010, 12:11 AM) *
So even though we can download these maps, some of them may be in DTA 1.11?

Yes, Bittah decides whether the map comes with the next version of DTA or not.

Also, Bittah (if you read this), has there been any progress with fixing the freezes on some desert maps?
Bittah Commander
Yes, for as far as I can tell it's been fixed (it had to do with the index of certain tiles in the ini file) and the fact hover units can cross certain water cliffs (mainly the vertical ones) has also already been noticed and fixed for DTA 1.11 smile.gif

Also, considering the quality of this map, I'll likely also include it with DTA 1.11 wink1.gif
Rampastring
Yay, thanks cool.gif

How about the AI? While editing the ai_dta.ini I noticed many easily fixable mistakes, for example some of the AI's actions require Tech Level to be 8, 9 or 10 and because of that the AI will never build those teams.
Bittah Commander
I have to admit I'm not that experienced with AI coding and didn't even realize there were tech levels specified under [AITriggerTypes] (I only noticed TechLevel=0 in the code of the teams). I just noticed where the actual tech level is specified however, so I'll give a go at modifying all of those according to DTA's; thanks for pointing this out smile.gif
Devastator
*sighs* If DTA wasn't so close to TD, there probably would've been some big buildings. The villages don't make much of a city but still a good map to play.
Bittah Commander
I just made a better preview for the map smile.gif

Aro
Those train tracks look strange while facing north and south, like someone has scribbled with a pencil.
Devastator
Second preivew today?
IMO the train tracks do look scribbly. (As Aro said)
Rampastring
I just made a better preview for the map smile.gif

It seems that you've changed the building pallette?
*sighs* If DTA wasn't so close to TD, there probably would've been some big buildings. The villages don't make much of a city but still a good map to play.

Well, it's a bit weird since a Medium Tank is larger than a civilian building. However TD's villages still look nice in my opinion.

I also thought that the tracks looked weird when I first saw them, but then I got the idea of using them for detailing the villages.. and I've got used to them now.
I have to admit I'm not that experienced with AI coding and didn't even realize there were tech levels specified under [AITriggerTypes] (I only noticed TechLevel=0 in the code of the teams). I just noticed where the actual tech level is specified however, so I'll give a go at modifying all of those according to DTA's; thanks for pointing this out smile.gif

Assuming you haven't got someone to code the AI yet, would you be interested in trying my AI? I recently rewrote a lot of stuff from ai_dta.ini when I was trying to make the AI more challenging for a lanparty.. and the AI became quite tough (we lost most matches against it), although it has only as much cheats as DTA's normal AI.

I have been improving the AI for two years, and when DTA 1.10 was released I modified the AI to be similar to my old AI before 1.10's release. I've rewritten a large portion of the file (the essential parts) in a few years, and I've also modified a few rules.ini keys which make the AI more aggressive. For example, the GDI AI doesn't attack with infantry units anymore when it can attack with tanks (the normal AI could "replace" a mammoth tank attack with an attack of a few rifle infantries if the mammoth tanks had failed.. and the Nod AI still uses infantry, but more rarely), the AI uses more artilleries and rocket launchers (especially SSM launchers as Nod to outrange guard towers), uses air units better (to kill your harvesters) etc.
Orac
The north/south track just needs some track over the sleepers. As for everything else, nice map.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.