Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Net Neutrality
TiberiumWeb.org Community Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion
CommanderSpartan
I was surfing the net when I came across this.

The Commission may exercise this “ancillary” authority only if it demonstrates that its action—here barring Comcast from interfering with its customers’ use of peer-to-peer networking applications—is “reasonably ancillary to the . . . effective performance of its statutorily mandated responsibilities…”

The Commission has failed to make that showing. It relies principally on several Congressional statements of policy, but under Supreme Court and D.C. Circuit case law statements of policy, by themselves, do not create “statutorily mandated responsibilities.” The Commission also relies on various provisions of the Communications Act that do create such responsibilities, but for a variety of substantive and procedural reasons those provisions cannot support its exercise of ancillary authority over Comcast’s network management practices. We therefore grant Comcast’s petition for review and vacate the challenged order.

This pretty much means ISPs can regulate our internet experience. They can make us pay extra to play online games, for downloads, and can block any site that they don't like or that don't pay them.

Sh*t.
Daroach
Is this for the world or just the USA?
jadems
Well, this is trying to be done in Australia too.

But seeing as most of the world's internets are held in America, I think this would also affect the world.
OmegaBolt
QUOTE (jadems @ Apr 7 2010, 11:27 AM) *
But seeing as most of the world's internets are held in America, I think this would also affect the world.
Rofl.
Rampastring
Well, it won't be affecting anything here in Finland and some of these restrictions can be likely bypassed.
SeekSomethingNew
It will spark a revolution, return of the underground!
Crimsonum
Stone age, here I come!
Roani52
EVERY ISP is able to do it, but not all of them are allowed to, or want to. There will be ISPs that refuse to block anything, for 'privacy reasons' ("you can thrust us, we wont block stuff, we are the nice guys!" (underlying message, f|_|ck the competitors in trade, we want YOUR moneyz to US!))
Orac
Here in New Zealand there was an attempt at passing a law to allow ISPs to disconnect you if you had been alleged of downloading/viewing anything illegal.
It failed, because of publicity and huge public uproar. People don't like it when the Government legislates to encroach on freedoms.
Devastator
Ah If they were mentioning Comcast, I haven't had anything to with Comcast since 2004.

All of the ISPs. They goin down...
jadems
Comcast owns g4TV. I love Comcast!
ORCACommander
GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
Aro
QUOTE (jadems @ Apr 7 2010, 11:27 AM) *

roll.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.