Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good Old TS
TiberiumWeb.org Community Forums > Tiberian Sun > TS Discussion
Devastator
Modding is enjoyable, but sometimes I search through the mixes. In Sounds.Mix, I listen to a certain infantry voice, and it brings back so many memories from when I started (Always losing, doing the original missions, and playing with the original units)
The old cameos are missed too. cry.gif

However many of us (as well as me) may miss TD if we don't have it. (I have TFD)

But you have to agree, you enjoy modding, yet you might miss some of original TS. Firestorm does not count as it is more enjoyable. roll.gif
Same as Covert Ops... cry.gif I miss it all

EDIT:I feel the same way about RA1
jadems
They are now freeware.
Altzan
Yeah, sometimes we get caught up in mods and changes that we forget how good the original was sad.gif
SeekSomethingNew
I still remember when i first got TS, the day it come out over here in the UK.

I had just got a Win95 Olivetti from a boot sale, watching TS install, took about 45 min! When i first started up TS, wow...

Rest is my gold wink1.gif
Rampastring
I originally played it when I was 5 years old (in 2000), but didn't really understand anything of it (I didn't understand English).

Then, in 2006, I found our old TS disc and decided to try it on our 10-year-old PC.. watching it install and playing it again was awesome, although the game crashed often on that PC (probably because of the low amount of RAM, 32 MB). I bought TFD the same year and played through the original campaigns in three days on a newer PC.

I haven't forgot "good old TS", as my personal mod contains only things base TS/FS have and I've only modified some units and made the AI much better. I always felt something was "wrong" in normal TS, it just felt rushed.. there were just so many features that weren't used (flying debris when you destroy a building, WW could've made the AI much harder in 5 mins by just modifying the taskforces a bit, etc.)
Devastator
Wow, and I thought my old comp was slow (256MB) rolleyes.gif
Blackhand Commando
Jeah... good old TS it was the first computer game I ever seen. I will never forget when my father brought it and he played hours with it... with the 1.1 version... he alaways did Disc thrower swarms with more than 100 of em.. but sometimes all the guys got killed by the artillery units. And we didnt even knew how to switch to Nod side in skirmish, nor in missions.

And I will never forget when i first played on tech level 10 and when I got pwnt by a mammoth Mk2.

And when I first saw a visceroid and I was just like wtf is that thing killing my soldiers...
So many good memories!

But I have an advice to all modders on the world. Always be sure not to modify what dont need to be. (eg dont replace titans with anything) and always be sure to follow the TS style with the units & structures, or you will just ruin the game (exept if you make something totally different).
Devastator
I want to empty mod folder of ALL mod stuff and put into another folder, but it wouldn't be the same. cry.gif

I want to play it on my OLD old comp. Only 8gb of disk space and ram even less. It was a windows 95, but was upgraded to 98. No internet cus of the LOW disk space. And play without Firestorm. I feel it would be best to just play on an old 95 comp, no internet so I do what I want. No INIs. No Modding Tools whatsoever.

@Blackhand Commando:I don't know the version I had, and RA1 was the first computer game I saw back in 99. I found RA1 better than Dawn cus I never had it, or even heard of it. I had the Nintendo64 version so I thought it was just called "Command & Conquer." lol.gif
Rampastring
QUOTE (Devestator @ Mar 20 2010, 11:21 PM) *
I found RA1 better than Dawn cus I never had it, or even heard of it. I had the Nintendo64 version so I thought it was just called "Command & Conquer." lol.gif

As far as I know it was called just "Command & Conquer", and the name "Tiberian Dawn" was later invented to seperate the game's name from the series' name.
jadems
C&C95 is what I recall XD
Aro
QUOTE (Altzan @ Mar 9 2010, 01:34 PM) *
Yeah, sometimes we get caught up in mods and changes that we forget how good the original was sad.gif

I've never liked vanilla TS to be honest, in fact, I hate it. I love modding it though.
The DvD
I always found the storyline to be grandiose, and the installer aswell!
Devastator
Yeah it brings back good times that never happened when I look in the Command & Conquer folder for TFD and see "C&C95.Exe" The memory is from seeing "RA95.Exe"

I love modding it though.

I like Vanilla TS but yes I get interested learning new things about modding everyday.
Rampastring
The story and the tiberium-infested world (and the awesome installer, loved some of the news it showed) were the first things that got me really interested about TS. At first I found the gameplay a bit boring (building light & rocket infantries enough to rush through the Nod campaign missions), but the more I played it the more interesting and fun it got.

The story is the best I've ever seen in a RTS, and the world is also the most detailed I've ever seen in any game.

About RA1.. I ran the DOS version (RUNGAME.EXE) audio configuration tool once about 4 years ago and I still remember the sound card type selection screen from it.. the sound of the drill was cool cool.gif
Devastator
The installer I forgot about! Well 7 years ago I first saw it at my cousin's old house. I played Firestorm. Never tried out the campaign when I first played 7 years ago. Never even knew Firestorm had a campaign. I loved the reapers and juggernauts.

And I started playing on my old Win95 comp 5 years ago and Firestorm didn't work. TS did but Firestorm froze the computer. I played it and wondered where the reapers and juggernauts were. I though the Juggernauts were called Limpet Drones.

I really didn't even know about modding till I got the RA2:Generals Mod 2.5 and the Ultima Mod for TS.
jadems
I finally played Firestorm after it became freeware!
Mind blowing.
Roani52
Hmm... When I first played TS it was illegal, on a 'twilight' disk. The videos were missing, that's the reason why I decided to buy the original (for €10, not that expensive) and played it again now WITH the videos. The install idd took a long time, like 30 minutes (slow sh*tty pc back then, now I got a 'nuclear reactor' as someone once referred to it). Now I got TFD, so my little brother could 'borrow' the TS disks... Well, he damaged the GDI disk... But now its freeware he can play it again tongue.gif
ORCACommander
Oh god the ultima mod that thing was classic chaos I remember crashing crashing my old fossil with 5 ion demo trucks. and ya westwood made awesome installers for their games everything they did was wrapped in effort and love. I got TS and FS from the Firepower Pack so I got the OST disc as well. This free ware announcement blew my mind NOW HOW ABOUT THE SOURCE YOU JERKS!

Only 1 other RTS rivals TS's plot line and world and that was Homeworld 1.
jadems
Homeworld? I've heard o, but never got through to me...

But anyway, I actually did not hear of Firestorm until after I started using mods from Tumsun - and found out some needed FS.

I think I remember Ultima mod! did they use the civ comm center as an ion defence or something1?!
Devastator
I had the Ultima Mod on my old comp and I RUINED it becuase I modded it SO much.
OmegaBolt
TS was never that good. The campaign was fairly boring and the FMVs were annoying in 3rd person. Graphically the temperate maps were just dull, undetailed... the mappers could have done a much better job. Firestorm of course brought it all back, that had a great set of missions... a very intense plotline.

TD remains to be the best C&C IMO. Intense, intriguing and with cool political details. TD Nod is the best... after that they just took up black designs and werent quite as interesting.
Rampastring
QUOTE (OmegaBolt @ Mar 29 2010, 04:10 AM) *
TS was never that good. The campaign was fairly boring and the FMVs were annoying in 3rd person. Graphically the temperate maps were just dull, undetailed... the mappers could have done a much better job. Firestorm of course brought it all back, that had a great set of missions... a very intense plotline.

I always enjoyed the FMVs. I have to agree about some (most?) maps, but there are some graphically ok ones. However most maps have nice gameplay.

IMO TD had the best gameplay (everything is well balanced and there are no useless units) but it doesn't have skirmish, AIs in multiplayer or other essential things, so after playing the campaigns and "New Missions" there wasn't really anything to play (although I know that TD was technically advanced when it was released).
Tore
there wasn't really anything to play

Uhmm fan missions? tongue.gif

Multiplayer? tongue.gif
Rampastring
QUOTE (Tore @ Mar 29 2010, 07:12 PM) *
Multiplayer? tongue.gif

Well as I said multiplayer is a bit restricted compared to TS. Also, while I have 4 friends who also play C&C, we usually have only 3 computers to use so 6-player matches are impossible for us without AIs.
Devastator
TS has skirmish but not TD. And many could not use those things like Hamachi or Westwood Chat.
ORCACommander
hamachi did not exist back when td came out
Devastator
What does RA1 use?
Rampastring
QUOTE (Devestator @ Mar 30 2010, 12:46 AM) *
What does RA1 use?

Westwood Chat for Internet multiplayer.
Tore
QUOTE (Devestator @ Mar 29 2010, 11:46 PM) *
What does RA1 use?

RA1 with the 3.03 patch uses a integrated online interface like TS.

Older versions of RA use Westwood Chat
SeekSomethingNew
Westwood Online Integrated Chat and Play tongue.gif

Little bit of trivia: RA3.03 actualy has very early code of what TS and YR use for WOL interface.
Devastator
I just noticed...RA1 is the most talked about game from the RedAlert series on TibWeb. Probably because RA1 and TD are very similar? Similar graphics, gameplay, different units and sounds.
OmegaBolt
Uhh, I dont think thats why. It's talked about the most because it's the best. I'd also say they have very different graphics and gameplay. RA1 looks rather more shiny and gameplay is faster and more tank spam IMO.
Devastator
Many people hated the RA1 AI becuase their units get stuck in bases.

I'm not surprised you like RA1 the best as it's most similar to TD, your favorite Tiberian Game.
OmegaBolt
RA1 is the best in the RA series, while TD is the best C&C overall. I played RA1 first, so because they might be similar has nothing to do with why I like them both the most. I love both their storylines, but IMO TD just has better gameplay and way cooler factions (& the desert terrain is neat). TD is best on PC, while RA1 plays best on the PS1 IMO (and kinda looks better).

However TD isnt the best game ever if that's what you were implying it said in my account.
Devastator
Only 15% of people on TibWeb have TD or TW as Favorite Game.

The other 85% love TS.

So it's nice to know we have some old fans.
Daroach
I liked TS on its own but until one has exploited every unit and building in TS and FS than I found it boring so I modded it so it was a new plot line.

QUOTE (BloodReign @ Mar 28 2010, 08:46 PM) *
Only 1 other RTS rivals TS's plot line and world and that was Homeworld 1.

IDK, I thought Dune 2000 had a great story line and plot and it had a more believable feel to it.
Then again, of course, It was based off a book so it already had a sort of "built on background info" feel to it.
Devastator
Though many units were left out.
Mammoth Tank and Flame Tank. The ICBM could've been of use.

And unused voxels.

Old Light, Medium, Flame, Mammoth tanks.
Along with the Chinhook, Convoy Truck, Probe Droid, and other truck.
Crimsonum
The other 85% love TS.

99% of those rarely play the game. When they are asked which game is the best, they only think of "the athmosphere" or "story". The multiplayer is awful, get a bunch of ORCA Bombers and you're done. Even TD's multiplayer beats TS's.
Rampastring
QUOTE (Crimsonum @ Apr 1 2010, 03:20 PM) *
99% of those rarely play the game. When they are asked which game is the best, they only think of "the athmosphere" or "story". The multiplayer is awful, get a bunch of ORCA Bombers and you're done. Even TD's multiplayer beats TS's.

I love TS's and TD's multiplayer, although I do play them rarely (only a few times in a year.. in LAN parties) roll.gif

I think TD has the most balanced factions etc. but after changing a few things (modding) in TS it became awesome.

However I've never played a match with only human players, we usually have 3-4 AIs playing (and the modified AI doesn't let us build Orca Bombers early in the game.. and if we try to build bombers we have less money for building defences and usually get rushed). So with only human players the multiplayer experience would be different.
Devastator
For TC (Tiberian Corruption) I'm following the tut "Bugs in Original TS/FS and how to fix them"

And I said that because of this
after changing a few things (modding) in TS it became awesome.

All sides become balanced.
Revolutionary
QUOTE (Devestator @ Apr 1 2010, 09:35 PM) *
For TC (Tiberian Corruption) I'm following the tut "Bugs in Original TS/FS and how to fix them"

And I said that because of this

All sides become balanced.

i have afew "Bugs" and things which i want to change or make better ive been working on fixing some of the might be of use to you, only i dont post them in that topic after an induvidual anoyed me if you are interested (not all of them will be useful to you and not all of them are finnished yet)
OmegaBolt
Well sod them. Currently i'm fixing up things and improving TS graphics for myself, so would like to know any or all bugs you've come across.
Revolutionary
ill have a look and pm you what ive got
Crimsonum
Just how many "fix TS" mods are there? Even I've been working on one now and then tongue.gif
OmegaBolt
Because it sucks otherwise? tongue.gif Well I'm also doing a mini expansion for it, using the now unused Firestorm slot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.