Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to fix Lan play and play mods via Lan (* to ***)
TiberiumWeb.org Community Forums > Tiberian Sun > TS Modding > Modding Tutorials
Revolutionary
I thought id post this after someone had this problem,
Thanks to hyper for identifying the problem when i was editing my Best of Beta exe.

How to fix play Lan play

Simple visit this site and download the lan patch
http://www.understorm.net/cnc/lan/ts_ra2.phpTHIS DOWNLOAD LINK DOESNT WORK
understrom is down please download the patch from my post further down this topic.
You should now be able to play TS and some TS Mods over Lan but not all Mods will work.

How to play a Mod with a custom exe With the lan fix

You should find the mod dosnt work
There are 3 ways to fix this
1) remove the Lan patch (wsock32.dll) This will fix the problem but stop lan play from working.

2) Rename the mods exe from what it is (eg Dawn.exe or Best of Beta.exe) to gamemd.exe
This allows you to play lan via that mods exe however limits you to 1 mod with a custom exe

3) This is more for the modders/hackers that have made the mod with the custom exe
You can search the wsock32.dll using a hex editor and replace Gamemd with any 6 symbols and
if you call youre mods exe what you renamed the Gamemd.exe it should work.
(there are ways to extend it so you have space for more than 6 symbols but i currently do not know how to do that)

There is a complet turtorial on option 3 by Nyerguds here http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18939

Why
The wsock32.dll is set up only to work with a exe file called game (used by RA2 and TS) and one called gamemd (used by RA2:YR) if the exe being run has any other name the dll will not recognise it and the game send out an error.

Originally posted by Revolutionary (me) on Project Perfect Mod then updated and posted on cnc-comm
Nighthawk
For Option 3, don't you mean "game" rather than "gamemd" ? I mean, this is a TS forum, not a YR one...
Revolutionary
no i mean gamemd

the wsock32.dll is set up to recongnise 2 exes 1 called game (for TS and RA2) and 1 called gamemd (for RA2:YR) since gamemd isnt used for TS if you change it TS will still work and youre mods new exe (that you replaced gamemd with) will work.

basicaly its there for RA2 but is unused by TS so it can be used to help us
Rampastring
In fact, if you read Nyerguds' tutorial, you disable the check for gamemd.exe and then replace the "game.exe" check string with your mod's executable's name. Since you can only replace existing bytes, removing the check for gamemd.exe makes it possible to have your mod's executable's name to be longer than 8 characters.
I_Am
If i remember correctly removing the gamemd.exe check lets you use the gamemd.exe and the game.exe space for your exe name. Also Dawn of the Tiberium Age has the wsock in it.
2kool4u526
Sorry to bump, but, the link for the LAN patch is broken.
Revolutionary
it use to work

(darn that was on my to be backed up list)

i have uploaded the lan patch here, if any one has any problems with me doing this ill take it down
2kool4u526
no problem with me, thx
Nyerguds
Woah, understorm is gone? :|
Revolutionary
It appears so hmm.gif
Darkstorm
Damn, better back up the patches, anyone have to TD/RA one?
Rampastring
Here you are: Click to view attachment
Darkstorm
Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.