Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you think of CNC games from Generals on?
TiberiumWeb.org Community Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion
Deathrider1991
Please no spamming or flaming. Details are welcome and wanted as well as reasons.
Roani52
I like generals, but haven't played it in some time. Like you might see in my sig, cod4 is getting the most of my gaming time tongue.gif
ORCACommander
I play generals and ZH solely for the mods. I still think RA2 and below are the greatest
Corsair
I like the ones before Generals better but I play CnC3 about as much
The Raven
I like Generals and Tiberium Wars, I havn't played RA 3 yet, but I figure I'd feel about the same about it. However, I absolutely love the old games. I was pretty much raised on Westwood. I've been playing TD and RA 1 since I was 7. Tiberian Sun is still one of my favorite games of all time, even if it was rushed and by far didn't live up to its potential.
Aro
Truth be told, I don't like any C&C Game, I just like modding them. I stopped caring for C&C after Generals to be honest.
Rampastring
My opinions:

-TD was awesome in all respects
-RA1: see above
-TS is probably the best RTS I've ever played.. or it would be if it wouldn't be so damn unstable (WaveClass errors, Reconnection Errors, other random internal errors.. they sometimes make me really want to grab an axe and smash my computer into small pieces).
-RA2 was ok-ish (The gameplay was imbalanced, the campaign videos sucked etc, however I still used to like it).
-Renegade.. it was so boring that I don't even want to remember it.
-Generals was horrible in all respects (The story sucked and the gameplay was so slow-paced and boring that I got bored after playing half of the USA campaign and never finished it).
-Tiberium Wars was OK. Although it didn't meet my expectations (I just had finished the TS campaigns for the first time (I never really played TS until I bought The First Decade in November 2006) and had high expectations for TW), it was still much better than Generals and RA2.
-RA3: Haven't played it, but it reminds me of RA2 and as such I don't think it's worth my money.

One thing that I miss in the newest C&C's is the music. In Tiberium Wars there really isn't any music at all, or if there is it's so quiet that I don't hear it at all. Yes, there are some random tracks which last a few seconds and then fade, but the music isn't even as nearly as good as TD's or RA1's music.
Revolutionary
-TD was good but before my time
-TD:CO nothing special
-SS good fun but before my time sad.gif
-RA1 same as TD
-RA1:CS same as TD:CO
-RA1:AM Good expansion pack (in my opinion what expansions should be like)
-TS great game (this is the first one i modded, mapped, hacked and played)
-TS:FS see RA1:AM
-RA2 good but not great
-RA2:YR didnt like changes to excisting sides
-REN didnt like it but i prefer RTS Games to FPS and hated how it wasnt all TD Buildings/Units
-GEN good but not great
-GEN:ZH didnt like changes to excisting sides
-TW thought campain was unbalanced but it was good
-TW:KW it was good but i didnt like the changes in recent patches and theres no mod sdk to correct them
-RA3 diffrent but good
-RA3:UR ranting.gif I HATE IT STUPID DIGITAL DOWNLOAD SELL IT ON A CD LIKE ALL THE OTHER GOOD GAMES ARE furious.gif
Crash
Yeah, since many of the (potential) buyers don't have a VISA card they might lose money there.
Tore
QUOTE (^Rampastein @ Mar 10 2009, 05:22 PM) *
-Generals was horrible in all respects (The story sucked and the gameplay was so slow-paced and boring that I got bored after playing half of the USA campaign and never finished it).

What Generals have you played? blink.gif Generals is a fast paced game (well not as fast as TW but fast) most games in Generals ends after 15 - 20 minutes...

I don't think Generals was horrible, I think of it as just another RTS and the positive side of Generals is that it is very moddable.
Renegade has a fun multiplayer but a crappy campaign (the orginal Renegade consept was awesome, they even had Frank Klepacki as Havok in the early stages)

C&C3 and everything after it was a disapointment IMO, it doesn't fit with the story line etc.

I have only played the RA3 demo and for me it felt like C&C3 just with pretty colors and ships...though I'm not saying that there was much difference between RA1 and C&C1 either...

The C&C games I like best are C&C1 and RA1 because I like their atmospheres and the mix between futuristic and real technologhies.
KingByng
TD & RA 1: never played
TS + FS: My Favourite PC game
RA2: Liked it as a kid, now not so much
Generals: Was ok, ZH made it better; still play it once in a blue moon without any mods
C&C3 (haven't played KW): Decent gameplay, good-looking, bad storyline, overall okay
RA3: never played
Tore
QUOTE (Yaraday @ Mar 11 2009, 02:17 AM) *
TD & RA 1: never played

Bad excuse. tongue.gif Go download them now!
Rampastring
QUOTE (Tore @ Mar 11 2009, 01:09 AM) *
What Generals have you played? blink.gif Generals is a fast paced game (well not as fast as TW but fast) most games in Generals ends after 15 - 20 minutes...

It could've been that the machine I played Generals on had only 256 MB of RAM and some old 1 GHz AMD Athlon Thunderbird processor. Matches with more than 4 players usually took multiple hours.
QUOTE (Tore @ Mar 11 2009, 01:09 AM) *
C&C3 and everything after it was a disapointment IMO, it doesn't fit with the story line etc.

And Generals fits with the storyline? roll.gif

I agree with that Renegade was an awesome concept, however it was performed poorly. What I hated the most was that my shots went exactly where I aimed even while running and everything took dozens of shots to kill.
Tore
Generals is a "story" on it's own. tongue.gif
Roani52
QUOTE (^Rampastein @ Mar 11 2009, 03:00 PM) *
It could've been that the machine I played Generals on had only 256 MB of RAM and some old 1 GHz AMD Athlon Thunderbird processor. Matches with more than 4 players usually took multiple hours.

Hmm... I can remember myself playing Tib Sun on an 256 MB RAM, 800 GHz AMD Duron Spitfire, 32 MB GRAM GeForce 2MX tongue.gif
Rampastring
We were talking about Generals.. roll.gif

And I've played Tiberian Sun with a computer which had a 250 MHz Pentium 1 processor, 32 MB of RAM and a 3Dfx Voodoo 2 tongue.gif
It was the first computer I used and was bought in 1996.. and upgraded later. Btw, those are pretty much the minimum requirements of TS. The game started lagging even in 1 vs 1 skirmish games.. I could barely play the campaign with it.

Yes, I've said that I never really played TS before I got TFD, but when I got TFD I still had that ancient computer in the house and I installed a copy of original TS in it. I even burned FinalSun to a CD, installed it on the computer and practised mapping with it cool.gif
Clazzy
A P166 with MMX technology was the minimum processor required for TS, I remember because I had a 200MHz processor which at the time was much better. Always wanted one of those 266MHz Pentium 2s though. And you had a Voodoo 2? Lucky sod, I always wanted a Voodoo card but I was stuck with my ATI Rage Pro with 2 (yes, 2!) MB of glorious memory. Ah, those were the days, you people missed out.
Corsair
I didn't used to know much about computers around the time of TS and all (so I couldn't tell you what I had for a system), I just know that my computer could play it but I couldn't build up too large or my computer would get sooooooo choppy rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.