Author: absturz

Hi all,
this tutorial is rated (*) since it is very easy - just copy and paste the settings...

I was wondering how to enable the Orca Transport and found several hints how to do this. However this was not very pleasing at all. Here comes my solution:

The GDI get the Orca Transport in TechLevel 6, as an add-on feature for the tech center. This transport is used to pick up 10 Infantry troopers and drop them over a target.

How to build as GDI
build the tech center
build an helipad
now you are able to build the Paratroopers Transport

How to use the Paratroopers
Land the transporter nearby your troops
Move up to 10 Infantry troopers into the transport
Select a target for the transport - or pick any destination on the map with CTRL-Left-click.
The transport flies to the target and drops off the troops, then it flies back to the helipad and needs some time to reload...
The paratrooper transport will not land outside the own base if it has troopers loaded - this is to keep him out of the line of fire from enemies...

Here are the technical settings
Edit the file RULES.INI and add the following entry to the section AircraftTypes. The number "9" has to be a number which is not used in this section. If "9" is already in use, select another number.
CODE
[AircraftTypes]
9=AIRTRAN

Now add the paratrooper transport to the other aircrafts.
CODE
[AIRTRAN]
ClonedFrom=Orca Transport
Name=Paratroopers Transport
Image=ORCATRAN
MovementZone=Fly
DamageParticleSystems=SparkSys,SmallGreySSys
VoiceSelect=30-I000,30-I002,30-I004,30-I006
VoiceMove=30-I014,30-I016,30-I018,30-I022
VoiceAttack=30-I022,30-I034,30-I036
Locomotor={4A582746-9839-11d1-B709-00A024DDAFD1}
Speed=10
Owner=GDI
Category=AirPower
MaxDebris=4
PitchSpeed=1.1
Landable=yes
Crewed=yes
Dock=GAHPAD,NAHPAD
AuxSound1=ORCAUP1
AuxSound2=ORCADWN1
Explosion=TWLT070,S_BANG48,S_BRNL58,S_CLSN58,S_TUMU60
Prerequisite=GAHPAD,GATECH
Primary=ParaTroop
TechLevel=6
Strength=200
Armor=light
Sight=10
Cost=1200
Points=20
Ammo=4
PipScale=Passengers
ThreatPosed=20
ROT=5
MoveToShroud=yes
EliteAbilities=FIREPOWER,FASTER,RADAR_INVISIBLE,CLOAK
VeteranAbilities=SELF_HEAL,STRONGER,SIGHT,SCATTER
Passengers=10

If you like you can play around with the parameter "Ammo" from above. A miniumum of 2 is required for dropping off your troops over a building, wheresas a value of "4" is good for moving targets.
The paratrooper transport also needs a "weapon". This is to drop off the troops over the target and to fly home after dropping them - instead of landing on the ground and sitting around. Just add the code below under the code from above:
CODE
; ParaTroopers
; 1 Ammo = 2 Passengers for moving targets, 5 Passengers otherwise
[ParaTroop]
Damage=0
ROF=9
Projectile=Cannon2
Speed=100
Warhead=Fire
Range=5.00

The weapon needs of course some time to recharge after usage. Therefore I wrote above that the paratrooper transport "needs some time to reload" after each mission.

Happy paratrooping,
absturz
QUOTE ("SMIFFGIG")
theres a few oddities in this that i hope u can absurtz

1. this is a flying unit which has transport ability, however it does not have the CarryAll=True tag, anything higher than the first version of TS requires this tag otherwise you get the strange bug that makes the transport not able to land and continually try and land on TOP of other units.

The transport flies to the target and drops off the troops, then it flies back to the helipad and needs some time to reload...
The paratrooper transport will not land outside the own base if it has troopers loaded - this is to keep him out of the line of fire from enemies...

It drops off the troops then files back, how is this possible. In my experience the transport continually fires its "0" damage and invisible weapon until told otherwise and has to be manually sent back home. It continually tries to fire its weapon even when all its ammo is exhausted (ammo=passengers)?

How also does the transport know not to land when it has full ammo (as mentioned in the second part of this quote?

ClonedFrom= ..... is this a tag!? if so what does it actually do? Quite strange how ive never seen this one before (i would check the .exe but i dont have TS on this comp)

Anyway hope u can answer these questions soon

-SMIFF of the GIG

Hi Smiffgigg,
please, don't look at me as if I was the hacker in person.. All I can say is: at my PC it works. And I have the German version of Tiberian Sun with patch level 2.3 applied
Well...
QUOTE ("SMIFFGIG")
theres a few oddities in this that i hope u can absurtz

1. this is a flying unit which has transport ability, however it does not have the CarryAll=True tag, anything higher than the first version of TS requires this tag otherwise you get the strange bug that makes the transport not able to land and continually try and land on TOP of other units.

Since I have patch level 2.3 and it works it seem O.K.? Additionally, I don't need the CarryAll flag because the transport needs not carry any vehicles. It just carries passengers.

It drops off the troops then files back, how is this possible. In my experience the transport continually fires its "0" damage and invisible weapon until told otherwise and has to be manually sent back home. It continually tries to fire its weapon even when all its ammo is exhausted (ammo=passengers)?

How also does the transport know not to land when it has full ammo (as mentioned in the second part of this quote?

Here is the specialty: It uses the passengers as ammunition. Whenever the ammo is exhausted it flies home like an ORCA, ORCAB or a SCRIN.
I introduced the "0" damage because ejecting a human being should really not harm the target, should it?
To answer your question how the transport does know not to land: I don't know. C&C behaves this way, don't ask why. The transport hovers around a while until it settles. A kind of side effect. However, I find it is a good idea, so no ground force will attack it as it is not landing while having passengers on board.
The other specialty is: Since it uses passengers as ammo, it will need some time to "reload" after a mission. However, since the ammo is INFANTRYTYPE you will have to supply "living ammunition" tongue.gif for the next mission...

ClonedFrom= ..... is this a tag!? if so what does it actually do? Quite strange how ive never seen this one before (i would check the .exe but i dont have TS on this comp)

O.K. this tag is a leftover. You may delete it. I use it for personal reasons - just in order to remember me which unit was the template for this unit biggrin.gif

Hope this helps. And: Just give it a try. As I mentioned it works fine...
QUOTE ("SMIFFGIG")
thanks for the reply smile.gif

The transport hovers around a while until it settles. A kind of side effect

In my experience this "side effect" makes the aircraft sporadically uncontrollable as it constantly tries to find different units/vehicles to land on (which is not possible) whilst continually making the take off and landing Sound effects

But i will eventually give your method a try anyway as the one in TSR is not perfect

QUOTE ("The DvD")
So, it's the ammo thing that makes this different from the method I (and SMIFFGIG) use.. well let's give it a try smile.gif