Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Design Request
TiberiumWeb.org Community Forums > Off Topic > The Graphics Fridge
Lin Kuei Ominae
Hi

I want to make sometime in the near future some Mutant Buildings, since i think they come too short in TS.
So this request goes to all Artists here if they can draw me some Mutant Buildings.

Since TS has already some Mutant Infantry Units i would prefer Barracks first. But some other buildings are welcome too.
1. Mutant Barracks
2. War Factory, Radar, and some others. (btw i already have 2 Power Plants smile.gif but if you have a cool one they could become three)

Due to the poor availability to add new sides, i would like them as the result of deployable units, so if you can also draw the deployer unit, it would be great (for barracks and warfactory only of course).
Oh and they should have some cool animations. I recently found out that even Barracks can have a dooranim like a warfactory so this should be really receive some attention, since no barrack ever had a dooranim.
Corsair
I'll try to get around to doing one, you might have to wait a little bit for mine though... kind of swamped with college crap at the moment :sleep:
Lin Kuei Ominae
no problem, i've time. I posted this request, because i have no idea how the style of mutant buildings could be. So it would be also ok for me if you just describe how they could look.
Warlord
Oh goody! I always had an image of some mutant buildings i'll draw some when i have the time biggrin.gif
Team Black
I might be able to get something together for you.. but I have 2 UBER UBER assignments due on monday, and a painting due tuesday.
Not to mention work..

Maybe by next Wednsday I'll have a little free time.

I'd picture them with a lot of TD technology (In two missions Nod vs. Mutants, they have mammoth tanks).
Making the most out of whatever they could salvage, and having a slight hint of scrin/alien technology from what Tratos read from the tacitus.
Lin Kuei Ominae
QUOTE (Team Black @ Oct 17 2007, 05:08 PM) *
I'd picture them with a lot of TD technology (In two missions Nod vs. Mutants, they have mammoth tanks).
Making the most out of whatever they could salvage, and having a slight hint of scrin/alien technology from what Tratos read from the tacitus.

that's exactly how i see them too. Influences of all factions (GDI/Nod/even Scrin) and a bit of their own style, like overgrown buildings with tiberium flowers etc (a bit Starcraft Zerg like; e.g. like the infested Terran HQ). They could even have units made out of scrap debris left on the battlefield (like a TickTank with a Titan gun on top).
My problem is to make a decent mixture of all influences.
Tartan Bunny
I thought of this idea a while ago, and i think it could siut Mutants perfectly.
Like the dam, have like a mutant hovel built into a cliff, with maybe a sensor array or radar thing ont op.
The bad thing is it won't be buildable for the player (unless you use the place aywhere flag).
Lin Kuei Ominae
Cliff buildings are a cool idea. cool.gif I really think i'll make one sooner or later. Even if it's only for mappers to give the maps more depth/ambience.

Maybe i can trick around and give a building a 1x3 Foundation but draw it beyond the foundation to make it fit with the cliff standing behind it. Then you can even build it, but it would look odd if you place it anywhere else than direct in front of a cliff.

how about a "Cheyenne Mountain Complex Entrance" biggrin.gif
Nintyuk
How about earthen buildings coverd in tiberium, like mutated mounds with entrances which have metal doors that are more modern but aren't noticeble unless you look carefully, so there concealed in what looks like a mound of tiberium and its fauna.
ill do some pics if i find the time to.
Lin Kuei Ominae
Hobbits?!

The snow frames have to be really good for this, so it fits in both theaters. It also can't have much activeanims. But as bunker buildings not bad. It shouldn't look too lowtech, since they are actually one of the biggest/strongest factions.
Nintyuk
No, not realy like that at all, just an idea. You could all ways just use those insta-buildings from the game as a basis for your forgotten buildings seeming there just mutated civilians forced in to combat. When i say insta-buildings i mean those hexagonal buildings that seem to be able to link together.
Lightstorm
i'll try if i get a chance.
jadems
Maybe for temperate frames they're structures could be above ground and for snow frames they'd be like underground with only a bit on the surface - think about it for comfort it'd be much better underground.
Lin Kuei Ominae
@Nintyuk
Connectable Buildings are a good idea too. But it would cause quite a lot of work, since a single building wouldn't be enough. And i didn't planned to make a whole new side. So this would be an idea that i would prefer to leave aside.
But if a sketch implements such connectors (like an airlock) for buildings and it looks good (doesn't stands out too much), why not. Additional buildings with connectors can still be done afterwards.

QUOTE (Lightstorm @ Oct 18 2007, 07:06 PM) *
i'll try if i get a chance.
sure. go for it. thumbup.gif

@jadems
One of the main reasons why i don't want to make underground buildings, is because i have to do every building twice. One fitting for temperate and one for snow. (i would also have to make a new texture for normal ground and snow so they blend in)
So i would prefer ideas that fit in both theaters.

And thanks to all for these really great ideas. thumbup.gif
Corsair
Well, I started on a barracks but the more I worked on this the more I thought it would make a better "War Factory." The idea is that its a bunker and that the building you see is just the entrance with a simple attempt at camouflage, the cloth could be made into camouflage or just simply kept as a net (whichever you prefer LKO)

There shouldn't be any work to the underground structure, it will be the same size as the normal War Factory (although the direction I drew it as, if possible) and it will give the illusion that tanks are being brought up from the elevator in the back and roll out from under the netting (if possible as well)

No work done at all to the underground part of it, I wouldn't do that to you LKO tongue.gif
Team Black
That's a very nice design, Corsair smile.gif

Having unmanned mammoths in there might not be good though..
I could imagine a player in frustration saying "Look, I've got 2 mammoth tanks in my garage, why can't I use em !?"

Maybe, dissassembled tanks would be better...

I also like the camo netting effect.. I think you could implement that in the game, making the building shp (or an anim since they overlap everything IIRC) extend over the bib a little, just enough to hide a small tank or something. Might be a pretty cool effect to use
Lin Kuei Ominae
Cool design, thanks.

As a warfactory i would recommend turning it 90°, so that the net is in the southwest and new units come out of it, there where now the 2 mammoths are placed. Because the exit point of warfactorys can't be changed afaik.
Since it's also possible to have the net transparent (with holes), so you can actually see the unit under it, it would give this a nice effect.
However the radar dish is a bit too much. I would remove this from the building.

And i really like the idea of the camouflage net. Maybe there could be a building only for this purpose too, so units can hide under this. Maybe with a 1x1 foundation covering a 3x3 field.
Corsair
QUOTE (Team Black @ Oct 19 2007, 08:29 PM) *
Maybe, dissassembled tanks would be better...

QUOTE (Lin Kuei Ominae @ Oct 19 2007, 08:51 PM) *
As a warfactory i would recommend turning it 90°

All right, I'll see what I can do wink1.gif
Lin Kuei Ominae
oh, you don't have to redo it only because it has to be turned 90°. This i can imagine how it would look turned. wink1.gif
Corsair
QUOTE (Lin Kuei Ominae @ Oct 19 2007, 08:51 PM) *
However the radar dish is a bit too much.

Well, I just figured it could have been some type of communication bunker outfitted by mutants to be a vehicle hangar of sorts. It could double as a radar when built, just some thoughts. If you really want it gone I'll get rid of it
Lin Kuei Ominae
How about making it as an upgrade? Does upgrades can have the radar ability?
\EDIT Tested, does not work. damn
Since it doesn't work as an upgrade i would say it should be removed or much smaller (half the size could fit).
Warlord
I've got an idea. smile.gif

How about you make some mutant buildings only buildable on tiberium. If thats possible of course.
Crash
QUOTE (Warlord)
How about you make some mutant buildings only buildable on tiberium. If thats possible of course.

Why do you want them to built on tiberium? Because they're mutants? roll.gif
Warlord
QUOTE (CrashKing @ Oct 21 2007, 02:49 PM) *
Why do you want them to built on tiberium? Because they're mutants?

Well yes, but not all of the buildings.. Just some like the Refinery and War Factory. I know it was possible to get different buildings to build on different land on RA1 because of the naval yards for the Allies and Soviets, but what about TS? huh.gif

Anyway it was just an idea. roll.gif
Lin Kuei Ominae
I don't think that it is possible. But for some kind of tiberium/resource extractor it would be cool, indeed.

And in RA1 buildings were only placeable on normal ground and water, like it's now possible in TS too. So afaik you can't make a specific building placeable on tiberium. You can only change [Tiberium] Buildable=no to yes, but then all land buildings can be placed on tiberium.
Nintyuk
And tiberium would be able to grow under all other buildings
Corsair
Well, they've never needed tiberium to live
vOi!king ship
I call this - The Tosho!

Basicly, the HQ for all the Forgotten. Some old GDI dome, left into the harsh lands blah-blah-blah. Also, don't mind the Nod logos. They were there...with another function...
Lin Kuei Ominae
Thanks for your concept!
The colors look a bit pale. But i really like what i can see. Especially the honeycomb pattern looks good (could be green ingame). Also the more technological style in combination with the plants on the left side (they are tib-plants aren't they?) fits quite well the forgotten. Maybe this in a 4x4 foundation as their hq and a smaller similar 3x3 version as the conyard. hmm.gif
vOi!king ship
So, you're going to use it? When you make the 3d model, could you also render it RA2 sized please? For a private project of mine.

And yes, those are plants, but you can also say they are tiberium plants or something.

And sorry for the low quality - I had to take the shot with my GSM. :(
Lin Kuei Ominae
First only as an inspiration for other mutant buildings, since i don't want to make a complete side (barracks and warfactory first) i don't think i'll make it (or better said: not in the near future). But i'm quite sure that i'll never make a RA2 building, sorry.

Right now i'm still collecting ideas and concepts. I hope it's ok for you and the other artists, that i first try to get some concepts before actually starting to make them. Also i won't follow the sketches in an exact way. The final result will be more a mixture of all ideas/concepts, where i try to pick out the best ideas of all concepts and put them into one.
vOi!king ship
Ah, that makes perfect sence.

Though it's a real shame you don't mod RA2. With RP2 and all...the possibilities of modding...are limitless! Not to mention TS things are easy as pie to implement.
Lin Kuei Ominae
if there would be a TC mod, that really adds all features of TS to RA2 (campaign, movies, maps, firestorm defense etc), then i would make stuff for RA2 too (and i would enjoy it due to the higher possible detail).
But it is a game for little children in my eyes. Cartoonish ingame units/buildings, embarrassing movie characters (the soviet prime minister and the ami president; maybe it's just the german synchronisation) and the total dilettantish enhanced TS game from EA that they call RA2. It loads maps slower, requires registry entries to work and has tons of files left over from TS. I guess RA2 could be half the size if there would be only the stuff needed in the mix and it would load 2 times faster. (sorry but i get offtopic smile.gif)
Ok there are some positive things too wink1.gif: Kari Wuhrer is one of them. biggrin.gif

Finally it's only the engine and the additional features that i want, nothing more.
vOi!king ship
Well, RP2 is bringing bacl a lot of those things. So is the NPatch, but RP2 is virtually bugfree.
Also, such a mod is in the making. You might even wish to assist, no? A perfect remake, just with much bigger detail... PM me. Or do you have MSN / Skype / ICQ?

Oh, and yes. Kari Wuhrer makes me want to play those videos over and over again tongue.gif
Lin Kuei Ominae
no, sorry. It would be too much work for me (i stay at my little TS projects). Also i don't want to make the stuff that actually would be EAs work. wink1.gif And i prefer PMs btw.
vOi!king ship
I know, last offtopic - but how can you call all those magnificent SHPs and voxels small projects? And the buildings as well. I mean, you make one of the most difficult art to make and you make it great. This is certainly not small modding.
Crimsonum
I read a while ago that the mutants in TS were going to have scrapped technology from both Nod and GDI, which they had altered to their own use.

Say, the Nod gun turret from TD era. It would be a good defense unit for the mutants, because it is a leftover from Nod, and it is a basic, low-tech defensive structure. Just make it look like it's made up from scattered metal plates and pieces tongue.gif

Also, TD era Communications center, left over from both GDI and Nod, it could be mutants radar center, with a few "tweaks".

My point is that many of the TD era technology could be now in the hands of the mutants. In TS, you can find many of the abandoned TD-era structures. They would be easily captured and re-used by mutant forces.
Lin Kuei Ominae
QUOTE (z @ Oct 23 2007, 07:52 AM) *
I know, last offtopic - but how can you call all those magnificent SHPs and voxels small projects? And the buildings as well. I mean, you make one of the most difficult art to make and you make it great. This is certainly not small modding.
overall it maybe looks like one big project, but every single shp/vxl doesn't took very long and is then done. I prefer many small projects that i can finish quite fast, than a big huge project where i can't see an end.
oh, and thanks that you like my modding stuff. biggrin.gif

@Omen
a good idea. Maybe the artists can bring in the TD style into their sketches. But i don't want a complete copy/remake of them, because i converted already all TD buildings to TS. In stand alone campaign missions where you have an engineer and find an old TD conyard you can build up an entire TD Base. (e.g. FS Nod mission where you have to run away from Cabal)
Click to view attachment
Maybe they are a bit bright, but it's also a bright map. (I haven't changed anything on them)
Nintyuk
well corsairs building looks a lot like the TD commcenter
Team Black
Heh, that reminds me of my first mod XD

It was actually just a rules.ini + art.ini mod where mutants used the GAOLDCC buildings, CAARMR for barracks, and CARRAY for radar, and had tiberium life and hidden vehicles (MLRS etc) as their army..
I never could get the third faction to work though, obviously, but I enabled all the forgotten units to both gdi and nod by building the "old MCV" and deploying it into GAOLDCC1..

I posted the mod here if you want to give it a run XD
CommanderSpartan
THOSE TD BUILDINGS KICKASS!!! THEY LOOK BETTER THAN THOSE IN THE TD MODS!!! are you gonna release them?
Lin Kuei Ominae
i didn't planned to release them, since everyone with TD can convert them too. wink1.gif

btw are there actually some artists drawing some concepts? (to come back on topic rolleyes.gif )
I really would like to see some barrack concepts.
Team Black
I'll see if I can put together a barracks for ya tonight..

BTW also in your TD minimod, you might want to use the original TD inantry as well.. TS infs are honkin HUGE compared to TD buildings lol.gif
Lin Kuei Ominae
you can take up time for the concept, i only wanted to bring the topic back on (subtle isn't it smile.gif ).

This is not a seperate TD minimod, it's together with all other stuff i made (e.g. the mechs). I made it only for those few missions with a TD conyard, to give an extra strategy to solve those missions. So it would be even more strange if there are tiny TD infantrymen among big TS ones.
Corsair
QUOTE (Lin Kuei Ominae @ Oct 23 2007, 05:59 PM) *
I really would like to see some barrack concepts.

I'll work on getting you some soon enough wink1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.