Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can someboy tell me....
TiberiumWeb.org Community Forums > Tiberian Sun > TS Discussion
Arbiter
i´ve got a question: how can i rename units? the ones already ingame, not new units?
Creagor
Hi, and welcome to TiberiumWeb!

Judgng by the question, you are obviously new to modding, so I will point you in the right direction:

First check THIS out. It explains virtually everything you need to do some basic editing. As you will see in the example, the "tags" are set out in a way that lets them explain themselves - you are after the tag "Name=". All the tools mentioned in the tutorial,including the one for extracting rules.ini can be found HERE.

There are actually two other ways - one is through maps, and the other is through LangRule.ini. The first method I mentioned is by far the easiest though, and I suggest you get familiar with that method first.
Arbiter
thx, i know that already. i just wanted to ask if its possible to change the name only with rules.ini, it´s possible with dvd´s tstwr.ini and i don´t know how he did that. when i change the name= tag in normal rules.ini it doesn´t change anything with the game. (oh, and i was modding for 8 years so im not new ^^, i know a lot, but i never tried this out before)
Team Black
Total war has a separate exe - it's a copy of the TS game exe, with a few changes, due to hex editing.

He made it so that TS total war reads tstwr.ini as if it's a rules.ini - this way, you can run TS total war and vanilla TS separately, and not have them interfere with each other (except though that he forgot to rename the language.dll rolleyes.gif )

Creagor made a tutorial on how to do that
Arbiter
yeah, i know, but it isn´t the exe, it´s just the tstwr.ini, with the normal rules.ini u can´t change names by just using "name=" tag, but with tstwr.ini u can, and i really don´t know why some say i can rename the names by just using name= tag, does somebody know how that can be? yeah, and i alerady took a look at the exe and dll, and when i just take the tstwr.ini into normal ts named as rules.ini, it changes the names, but when i try to change names with the name tag it doesn´t work...
Lightstorm
he modded the exe so it read it that way.
jadems
have u added the name= tag or did you change the already existing one? that might be the problem.
Team Black
tstwr.ini >>> only applies to TSTW.exe
rules.ini >>> only applies to game.exe (vanilla TS)
Arbiter
ok, i´ve changed the already exsisting "name=" tag, for expample the light infantry, i´ve also made a spereate exe that reads from sules.ini, not from rules.ini, and the prob is: i can´t change the name of light infantry or mmch or whatever. I think that´s just because of the langrule.ini. but when i try to change anything in the langrule.ini the game crashes. in Tstw you can rename light infantry, so what exactly did dvd? can somebody plz explain it to me? i´m really confused at the moment -_-´
Arbiter
sorry all, i´ve found out how to rename light infantry or something like that, i had to let the games seek for example ranrule.ini insted of langrule.ini, now i can rename units just by usung "name=" tag. thx anyway
SeekSomethingNew
ah, non-english versions have that problem...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.