IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reconnection errors, Having some problems playing TS in LAN...
Rampastring
post Jul 26 2008, 10:24 AM
Post #1

Tick Tank
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 957
Alliance: Nod
Favorite game: Tiberian Sun

Well, although this problem is quite weird and I do not expect that anyone could help me with it, I'm posting it here for the small chance that someone could help me with it.

A couple of days ago a friend of mine brought his laptop to me with the plans of playing some games in LAN with me and my brother.

My computer is running Windows XP, my brother's computer is also running XP and my friend's laptop is running Vista.

First we downloaded Understorm's UDP Patches. Then we set up a LAN with Hamachi and all games, including RA1, worked well, with the exception of TS. We also tried playing TS via XWIS, however it didn't help at all.

Every time we started a game, we could play it for a few seconds and then we got a reconnection error. One time we could play it for a few minutes before getting an error, however it lasted that long only once. confused.gif

After trying TS, we decided to play some other games, and while my friend was installing them I tried to play TS with only the two XP computers, and it worked just like it should. After doing some more testing it seems that we can play TS as long as my friend's laptop isn't participating in the game. Every time it is, we get a reconnection error in first few seconds of the game.

Btw, this wasn't the first time we tried to play TS in LAN. We tried the first time somewhere in May, when we could play TS about 30 minutes before an error occured. However 30 minutes wasn't enough even for small games, but it worked much better than it did the last time.

The next time my friend comes here with his laptop has been scheduled to next week, when I'm going to do some more testing about this. Since it was much more playable a few months ago, the first thing I'm going to do is ending all unnecessary background processes, especially the programs that he has installed in a few months, although I'm not going to start ending them aggressively because I got no idea which of those processes are Vista's system processes.

Does anyone here know what I must do to get TS working correctly? (if it's possible to get it working correctly.. with all this testing for waveclass errors, recon. errors etc I've almost fixed it's errors as much as I've played it..)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

: | +Quote Post
Havoc _PJ
post May 2 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #2

Technician
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,720

Yeah I got this same problem confused.gif I'm using a laptop with Windows 7 and my friend is using a laptop with Windows Vista. We're playing Tiberian Sun.

It just started happening two days ago, worked fine before this, we played numerous games before. The only thing we changed from last time we played was the visceroid's weapon, but I doubt this is the problem. Is this even caused by tiberian sun or do ya think it has to do with Vista??? We also have the vista lan patch. Also, could it have anything to do with too much data being sent over(like too many units in the game at once)???

ps: sorry for reviving this topic, but I just dont know what to do.

This post has been edited by Sun Girl: May 2 2010, 07:14 PM

Rampastring
post May 2 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #3

Tick Tank
Group Icon

Member No.: 957

I've got the problem mostly fixed already, dunno what caused it. Although I've noticed that using a specific ddraw.dll to fix some errors is a fast way of getting reconnection errors it shouldn't affect you since you're both running Windows Vista or 7. I've played lots of 3 player matches in both base TS and DTA and even a few longer 4 player matches in DTA in the past year (with lots of different systems) and I haven't got a reconnection error in any of the matches.

Excluding one thing: if you're playing a game and then the game crashes on one pc (for example due to a waveclass error or something else), then you start a new game without the restarting TS on the PC which didn't crash, you'll get a reconnection error instantly. To prevent this I usually restart TS (and tell everyone else to do so too) after every match.

You can try some generic advice for these problems, like make sure nothing is interfering with TS (shut down all unnecessary processes), disabling web traffic scanning programs while you're playing etc. However I don't know if it helps at all.

Also, you could try reverting any modifications you've done to TS. Might have been the thing which fixed the errors entirely for me, because after I started having too many reconnection errors I removed all new units, buildings, most animations etc. and rewrote my AI modifications. And I don't get the errors anymore.

This post has been edited by ^Rampastein: May 2 2010, 07:23 PM

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:07 PM

XGhozt.com