IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stepping Stones, My first disasterous try to make a map...
Daroach
post Dec 28 2009, 06:25 PM
Post #1

Hum-vee
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,711
Alliance: Scrin
Favorite game: Tiberian Sun

This is a map for 2 Players which are divided by a canyon.
I tried to test this on TS and terrain was blanked out and the tiberium dissapered, can anyone help me?

Size : 20x55 Temperate

Story: I havent thought of one yet, something about civilians stealing an ICBM launcher...

Edit: Got a story! : Because of the fall of kane local terrorists pick up the peaces of the fallen NOD. They have tighten security and soon the society called: EA (Earth Alliance), will do what nod failled to do...

Triggers: Some but FS won't show the event selection or Action selection (the pulldown tab) so they are incomplete and kind of stalled until further notice.

Minimap:Will be in FS.

In Game:Can't load up for some reason... mad.gif

Welcome for critisim...

This post has been edited by Cat-a-strobe-ic Dj: Dec 28 2009, 08:30 PM

--------------------

Projects: Power & Ponies {Name Wip}, C&C Tiberian Sun: Setting, C&C: Europian Rampage [Generals mod] (Fomerly C&C Red Alert for RA2)
Formaly known as: Cat-a-strobic-Dj. Sometimes known as: Plasterat (PSN, Xfire, online)
Worker on:C&C: TS: Best of Beta
Go to the top of the page

: | +Quote Post
Ixith
post Dec 28 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #2

Cyborg Reaper
Group Icon

Member No.: 27
Alliance: Nod

well I have three possibilities to why it won't load up...

A) The map is just too small. 20 cells wide is beyond small....i can hardly open the map up in final sun and view it properly because it starts jumping around in the final sun viewing screen
B)the unfinished triggers may be causing it to crap out. Which is weird as to why FinalSun won't pull down the events and actions set...i have no clue what might cause that.
C) You have some tiberium on slope and that will cause the map to crash once you go over it. But again that's once you go over it with the screen while ingame meaning you have to get it ingame first.

But yea i'd have to guess on A of any of those 3 because the game wants you to run on a resolution that can essentially view the entire map and I have a feeling that if the number of map cells doesn't exceed the amount that should appear on the screen with your resolution then it will crash as it doesn't know what to draw outside to border the map if there isn't any more map. Just a guess.

I suggest trying a map no smaller than 50X50 to start out.

But...from what I can see,
1-your cliffs are placed for the most part correctly. However, you didn't quite connect all of the cliffs correctly to the bridges. The Bottom right and the Top Left outside edge of those bridges aren't placed correctly. The top left is one cell back from the bridge spot and the bottom right is just missing one more cliff piece.
Your are also missing the 1 cell cliff connection pieces for the horizontal cliff tiles.
And finally concerning the cliffs you may want to make sure you finish the cliff set all the way to the edge of the map even if it's outside of the blue line as otherwise when you go to level it will cause slopes to level out around the cliff side.
2-Your hills/slopes should be more level and not just suddenly drop off from the cliff like that. It works the way you have most of them but it makes it look weird and quite un-natural.

That's all for now. I suggest just trying a larger map as I believe that is the reason this one won't work. Try 50X50 the size that finalsun gives you at start for your next map or even bigger.
But good luck with continuing on with mapping.

--------------------

Daroach
post Dec 28 2009, 08:23 PM
Post #3

Hum-vee
Group Icon

I used the auto slope/cliff buttion (the option with a arrow pointing up creating a cliff)

Because of not connecting the end of a cliff to the edge of the map the thing made it slope down.

Thanks for suggestions. huh.gif

--------------------

Projects: Power & Ponies {Name Wip}, C&C Tiberian Sun: Setting, C&C: Europian Rampage [Generals mod] (Fomerly C&C Red Alert for RA2)
Formaly known as: Cat-a-strobic-Dj. Sometimes known as: Plasterat (PSN, Xfire, online)

Rampastring
post Dec 28 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #4

Tick Tank
Group Icon

Member No.: 957

QUOTE (Cat-a-strobe-ic Dj @ Dec 28 2009, 10:23 PM) *
I used the auto slope/cliff buttion (the option with a arrow pointing up creating a cliff)

a) Your signature is way too big. Signature rules here: http://www.tiberiumweb.com/forums/index.php?act=boardrules

b) Never use the auto cliff-making tool, always make your cliffs by hand.

This post has been edited by ^Rampastein: Dec 28 2009, 09:54 PM

--------------------

Daroach
post Dec 29 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #5

Hum-vee
Group Icon

Thank-you for the criticism, I will edit it later but now I'm on a new map for TS Firestorm. I have two titles for it and probably when I post it here everyone can vote on it.

Your signature is way too big.

I found it but it was too large to be an avatar so I used it for a signature picture

BTW: How can you get in game shots without the "Ctrl+C" methed.

--------------------

Ixith
post Dec 29 2009, 04:29 PM
Post #6

Cyborg Reaper
Group Icon

Member No.: 27

QUOTE (Cat-a-strobe-ic Dj @ Dec 29 2009, 04:58 AM) *
BTW: How can you get in game shots without the "Ctrl+C" methed.

the only other method i know of is a bit more of annoying in my opinion. But you can hit the print screen button which is often times short handed to say "prt sc" on the button itself. Not sure where the button is on your keyboard but on my laptop it shares the same button as the home button and on my desktop keyboard it shares it with the Sys Rq button. Once you hit that button you paste it into paint or any other image editing program. However, keep in mind that this way only allows you to do a single pictures at a time as it copy's everything on your screen to the clip board.

Now if you're asking another way because you can't open up the PCX images that the Ctrl+C method saves the images as then I suggest you get a program called Ifran View as it can open PCX images and then you can save those images as PNG which then can be uploaded to here.

A link to IfranView's homepage can be found HERE

Another way to get you PCX image files to PNG format is to use the XCC stuff but that's more complicated than IfranView I think.

--------------------

Rampastring
post Dec 29 2009, 07:18 PM
Post #7

Tick Tank
Group Icon

Member No.: 957

There are also others than just IrfanView, for example GIMP (which is widely used as a free image editing program) can also open PCX images.

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:22 PM

XGhozt.com