post Aug 10 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #1

Forum Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 5
Alliance: GDI
Favorite game: Tiberian Sun

A first release of HyperPatch likely isn't far away... If modders who need to do certain hacks in Game.exe with a hex editor to get certain things to work for their mod decide to use it, they'll inevitably have to do those hacks again when they start using HyperPatch.
If they have to do these hacks again and again every time a new version of HyperPatch is released, it'll likely put people off (and some hacks possibly can't even be done again because the offset to do them at has changed and there's no ASCII text to search for), so I'm making a list of known hacks which should be made modifyable in rules.ini in so mods that use HP will remain compatible with every new version of HP that'll be released. If anyone knows of any known hacks (this means there's either mods that already use them or you or someone else knows how to do the hack) I didn't add to this list, please post them.
  • 32 facings
  • Max tech levels
  • DropPod infantry
  • AllowHiResModes enabled by default
  • SidebarCameoText default value (possibly make its default value modifiable in rules.ini)
  • UnitActionLines default (this is not really important, but I'd suggest you either disable this by default or make its default value modifiable in rules.ini)
  • IsScoreShuffle (enabled by default)
  • Filenames (rules.ini, art.ini, tibsun.mix, expand01.mix, etc.; low priority since they can always be easily found and replaced via ASCII search)
  • Theater names (low priority since they can always be easily found and replaced via ASCII search)
  • Theater template extensions (.sno/.tem; low priority since they can always be easily found and replaced via ASCII search)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

: | +Quote Post
Machine
post Aug 11 2009, 12:41 AM
Post #2

Attack Buggy
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 687

Creagor unharcoded some text colors (sidebar text colors) by giving them an extra entry in RoO's rules.ini. Those colors where hardcoded to use some on the already existing colors on rules.ini, sharing them with other stuff.

Also droppod infantry, being separated from E1 and E2.

This post has been edited by Machine: Aug 11 2009, 12:43 AM

--------------------

Bittah Commander
post Aug 11 2009, 01:40 AM
Post #3

Forum Administrator
Group Icon

It already is like that in TS by default; LightGrey controls the status text on the sidebar (like "Ready" and "On hold") and the remap color of civilian units and buildings (and their radar color also) for example.
But now that you mention it there are certain colors in the exe that are hardcoded... The player colors come to mind (in the skirmish menu), along with their names; I'm not sure if there were any others.

Edit:
Oh, it seems I accidentally typed Jump-Jet infantry in my first post instead of DropPod infantry xD *fixed*

--------------------

SeekSomethingNew
post Aug 11 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #4

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

Member No.: 208

QUOTE (Bittah Commander @ Aug 10 2009, 10:41 PM) *
A first release of HyperPatch likely isn't far away... If modders who need to do certain hacks in Game.exe with a hex editor to get certain things to work for their mod decide to use it, they'll inevitably have to do those hacks again when they start using HyperPatch.
If they have to do these hacks again and again every time a new version of HyperPatch is released, it'll likely put people off (and some hacks possibly can't even be done again because the offset to do them at has changed and there's no ASCII text to search for), so I'm making a list of known hacks which should be made modifyable in rules.ini in so mods that use HP will remain compatible with every new version of HP that'll be released. If anyone knows of any known hacks (this means there's either mods that already use them or you or someone else knows how to do the hack) I didn't add to this list, please post them.
  • 32 facings
  • Max tech levels
  • DropPod infantry
  • SidebarCameoText default value (possibly make its default value modifiable in rules.ini)
  • UnitActionLines default (this is not really important, but I'd suggest you either disable this by default or make its default value modifiable in rules.ini)
  • Filenames (rules.ini, art.ini, tibsun.mix, expand01.mix, etc.; low priority since they can always be easily found and replaced via ASCII search)
  • Theater names (low priority since they can always be easily found and replaced via ASCII search)
  • Theater template extensions (.sno/.tem; low priority since they can always be easily found and replaced via ASCII search)

32 facings
Of course, these are planned.

Max tech levels

Yes Johan, these will be added to the MultiplayerDefualts section, aswell as all other controls for the pre game dialogs.

DropPod infantry
This will be customisable per DropPodSuperWeaponType

AllowHiResModes enabled by default
Already done wink1.gif

SidebarCameoText default value
Same as Tech Level

UnitActionLines default value
Same as Tech Level

IsScoreShuffle (enabled by default)
Perhaps, we will see what people think of this first.

Filenames, Theater names & Theater template extensions
VERY low priority, people will just have to live with it for now. And thats final...

QUOTE (Machine @ Aug 11 2009, 01:41 AM) *
Creagor unharcoded some text colors (sidebar text colors) by giving them an extra entry in RoO's rules.ini. Those colors where hardcoded to use some on the already existing colors on rules.ini, sharing them with other stuff.

Also droppod infantry, being separated from E1 and E2.

Yea, these colour limits are all planned to be removed, and to be house specific aswell.

DropPod InfantryTypes will be custom too, like ETS where you can also define a UnitType.

QUOTE (Bittah Commander @ Aug 11 2009, 02:40 AM) *
The player colors come to mind (in the skirmish menu), along with their names; I'm not sure if there were any others.

I will expand the colour list array, to allow 16 overall colours, these all will be customisable smile.gif

--------------------

Revolutionary
post Aug 11 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #5

Hum-vee
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,267
Alliance: CABAL

QUOTE (Bittah Commander @ Aug 10 2009, 10:41 PM) *
  • 32 facings
  • Max tech levels
  • DropPod infantry

32 facing would be good if this could be to do with a single units art entry. eg you could import the TD SSM graphics and give it to Nod while Keeping the original tick tank and cyborg reaper with no problems

Max tech would be good if it was editable in the rules (i wish i knew it could be edited and had been before) even better if the max is above 10

Droppod, wasnt hyper doing some thing similar

AllowHiResModes should be left to the sun.ini file imo
I would like to see the sun.ini used like Nyergud used the Conquer.ini only with less things n00bs can play with and cause recons with

as for names we should be able to edit via a extra file or an excisting file eg Rules.ini OR be allowed edit them in the exe like before

--------------------
CnC-Comm.com News poster and Creator of TS:Best of Beta and Revo's Mod's

SeekSomethingNew
post Aug 24 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #6

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

Revolutionary, you missed my post matey tongue.gif

--------------------

Revolutionary
post Aug 25 2009, 03:55 PM
Post #7

Hum-vee
Group Icon

QUOTE (CCHyper @ Aug 24 2009, 11:51 PM) *
Revolutionary, you missed my post matey tongue.gif

huh.gif but i ....

This post has been edited by Revolutionary: Aug 25 2009, 03:56 PM

--------------------

The DvD
post Oct 29 2009, 12:02 AM
Post #8

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2
Alliance: Nod

Would it be possible to edit the .exe so that it allows objects using unittem/unitsno.pal pallettes to be lighted? (Example: stuff using the terrain pallette gets a greenish hue when in the vicinity of a green light post or when the map lighting is green).

BTW, when the game switches to Ion Storm mode, the above already happens as far as the map lighting goes.

--------------------
Please contact me on msn if you need me for anything, thanks.

2kool4u526
post Oct 29 2009, 07:23 PM
Post #9

Attack Buggy
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,553

OMG TEH DVD IS BACK!!!!

--------------------
Transferring Files...
Initiating, Please stand by...

Welcome
       to the
BOT DESTROYERv 5.26
(GAMEZER EDITION)

Rampastring
post Oct 30 2009, 01:43 PM
Post #10

Tick Tank
Group Icon

Member No.: 957

Yes, it's cool to see DvD posting again, and that feature would also be cool.
Btw, it's the same feature which I asked about here.

Hyper hasn't visited this place for a week, so I think we'll have to wait for an answer.

This post has been edited by ^Rampastein: Oct 30 2009, 01:44 PM

--------------------

SeekSomethingNew
post Nov 1 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #11

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

QUOTE (The DvD @ Oct 29 2009, 12:02 AM) *
Would it be possible to edit the .exe so that it allows objects using unittem/unitsno.pal pallettes to be lighted? (Example: stuff using the terrain pallette gets a greenish hue when in the vicinity of a green light post or when the map lighting is green).

BTW, when the game switches to Ion Storm mode, the above already happens as far as the map lighting goes.

DvD!

I have looked at this before but i dont quite get how it works, and when you mean terrain objects, you mean Fona, Tib Trees, Trees etc?...

--------------------

Orac
post Nov 2 2009, 03:25 AM
Post #12

Flamethrower Infantry
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,264

I'm pretty sure he means buildings, but if not, those in a nice lighting-effected setup would be snazzy too tongue.gif

--------------------

QUOTE (jadems)
[TS] is a once in a while game. You can go away, but you can never leave.

Rampastring
post Nov 2 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #13

Tick Tank
Group Icon

QUOTE (CCHyper @ Nov 1 2009, 08:57 PM) *
DvD!

I have looked at this before but i dont quite get how it works, and when you mean terrain objects, you mean Fona, Tib Trees, Trees etc?...

I think he means the same as me; for example, civilian buildings get lighted green when there's a green lightpost near them. However, players' buildings do not.

I'm not exactly sure if the lighting gets applied to Fona, Trees etc, but I think it does.

And like DvD said, players' buildings do already get coloured by the lighting during Ion Storms.

--------------------

SeekSomethingNew
post Nov 2 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #14

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

Hmm, this is interesting, but i do need something to branch from, Ion Storm just changes the map ambient colours like a trigger would.

--------------------

The DvD
post Nov 7 2009, 03:19 AM
Post #15

Webmaster
Group Icon

QUOTE (^Rampastein @ Nov 2 2009, 03:00 PM) *
I think he means the same as me; for example, civilian buildings get lighted green when there's a green lightpost near them. However, players' buildings do not.

I'm not exactly sure if the lighting gets applied to Fona, Trees etc, but I think it does.

And like DvD said, players' buildings do already get coloured by the lighting during Ion Storms.

Yup, that's what i mean exactly. Wether the object gets lighted or not depends purely on the palette it uses, btw. For example, i once converted all Nod base buildings to the ISOTEM palette and set UseTerrainPalette=yes in art.ini. In-game, those base buildings were lighted just like the surrounding terrain. Reason for me not using this in TSTW is that it doesn't work for the building animations sad.gif

Had a screenshot on Tumsun like 5 yrs ago..

--------------------

SeekSomethingNew
post Nov 9 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #16

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

So its only ISOTEM/SNO that get effected? Let me look into it.

EDIT: Actually, this looks quite intertwined between the IsometricTiles and the palettes...

--------------------

The DvD
post Nov 26 2009, 09:20 PM
Post #17

Webmaster
Group Icon

Found them smile.gif

Just did a quick conversion of the nod buildings btw, as you can see some colours look rather bad, as well as the active anims.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  terrain_pallette___map_lighting__rainy_.png ( 279.08K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  terrain_pallette___map_lighting__yellowish_.png ( 174.26K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  terrain_pallette___red_light_post.png ( 178.4K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------

Darkstorm
post Dec 30 2009, 02:41 AM
Post #18

Disc Thrower
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,099

I'm sorry to ask but how do you change the sidebar text? I remember a topic about it but could never find it.

--------------------

Rampastring
post Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM
Post #19

Tick Tank
Group Icon

QUOTE (Darkstorm @ Dec 30 2009, 04:41 AM) *
I'm sorry to ask but how do you change the sidebar text? I remember a topic about it but could never find it.

If you want to change the text color, modify either White= or LightGrey= in the [Colors] section (not sure which it is).

If you want to change the text itself, modify the units' or structures' Name= value.

--------------------

Bittah Commander
post Dec 30 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #20

Forum Administrator
Group Icon

The color to modify is LightGrey, but the problem is that this will also change the remap color for the civilians.

--------------------

Darkstorm
post Dec 31 2009, 01:19 AM
Post #21

Disc Thrower
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,099

Now that I think of it, it was change the green tooltip near the mouse that I was thinking of. Though editing the cameo text color without changing the civilians would be nice. One more thing though, isn't there a way to remove the cameo text entirely? Therefore, making the names on the cameos.

--------------------

Revolutionary
post Dec 31 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #22

Hum-vee
Group Icon

sun.ini
SidebarCameoText=no

and removing this option from the ingame menus could be a work around.

--------------------

The DvD
post Dec 31 2009, 02:58 PM
Post #23

Webmaster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Revolutionary @ Dec 31 2009, 12:23 PM) *
sun.ini
SidebarCameoText=no

and removing this option from the ingame menus could be a work around.

..which can be done by editing the Language.dll file, in case you were wondering smile.gif

See this: http://www.tiberiumweb.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52

--------------------

Revolutionary
post Dec 31 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #24

Hum-vee
Group Icon

QUOTE (The DvD @ Dec 31 2009, 02:58 PM) *
..which can be done by editing the Language.dll file, in case you were wondering smile.gif

See this: http://www.tiberiumweb.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52

whoops sorry should have said that, (ive done it before and i get my one time to shine and blow it tongue.gif)

RE: the Know hex edit
There are some i know how to do how ever there are some i dont and i was wondering if any of these could be made public. since the Hyper patch will possibly/hopefully cover most of these hacks thay will not be needed however it would be a waste to see them simply dissapear. I am working on building up a collection of tutorials on editing the TS exe and anything else CnC and hex related. (reasons, to provide a aid for users who wish to edit the exe, back up so these are not lost, and to create a edited exe using the tutorials and at least 1+ tutorial to impress people, like computing teachers tongue.gif)

if need be i am willing to create tutorials for the hack as long as someone is willing to write down/send me the basics and/or guide me.

•32 facings (was implanted in DTA, i dont know how to do this)
•Max tech levels (was implanted in DTA, i dont know how to do this)
•AllowHiResModes enabled by default (i donk know how to do this)
•SidebarCameoText default value (not realy sure what is ment by this but i dont know either way)
•UnitActionLines default (removing target line, was in DTA?, dont know)
•IsScoreShuffle enabled by default (another default one again dont know how to do however, if some one gives me help i may be able to work it out)
•Filenames (know how to do)
•Theater names (think i know)
•Theater template extensions(know how to do assuming it changing .tem to .urb via ascii search)
•DropPod infantry(know how to do)

--------------------

Lin Kuei Ominae
post Jan 1 2010, 02:29 PM
Post #25

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

Member No.: 281

QUOTE (Revolutionary @ Dec 31 2009, 10:03 PM) *
•32 facings (was implanted in DTA, i dont know how to do this)
•Max tech levels (was implanted in DTA, i dont know how to do this)

both was done afaik by Hyper and i doubt it is only a single byte that you have to change with a hex editor. It was most probably some more code necessary, thus i doubt Hyper will make a tutorial about this. However it is part of Hyperpatch, so don't worry about that.
•AllowHiResModes enabled by default (i donk know how to do this)

open sun.ini and add AllowHiResModes=yes to the [Video] section

•SidebarCameoText default value (not realy sure what is ment by this but i dont know either way)

open sun.ini and set SidebarCameoText=no in [Options].
with "no" you don't see the unit/building name on the cameo. with "yes" you see it.

•UnitActionLines default (removing target line, was in DTA?, dont know)

Open sun.ini and set UnitActionLines=no under [Options]

•IsScoreShuffle enabled by default (another default one again dont know how to do however, if some one gives me help i may be able to work it out)

again sun.ini

•Filenames (know how to do)
•Theater names (think i know)
•Theater template extensions(know how to do assuming it changing .tem to .urb via ascii search)
•DropPod infantry(know how to do)

search for the original names in the exe and then use a hex editor to change them. Just make sure that the names don't become longer. Shorter names is ok, but fill the rest with hex 00. The filesize as well as all offsets in the exe must stay the same!

For DropPod infantry simply search for "ChemLauncher" and after that you find the 2 names "E2" and "E1" at hex offset 30fef4 and 30fef8.
If you would search for the strings "E1" or "E2" you wouldn't find them that fast as these strings appear several times in the exe.

This post has been edited by Lin Kuei Ominae: Jan 1 2010, 02:32 PM

--------------------
Co-Leader of Twisted Insurrection
my public units for you
Nod units:____________________________GDI units:
Nod Scorpion__________________________GDI 3A Kodiak
Nod Tachyon Tank______________________GDI Medusa (Triple Cannon Mech)
Nod Goliath___________________________GDI Behemoth (medium size Mech)
Nod Cobra (fast medium mech)__________GDI Battleship Aurora
Nod Siegebot (light MG-Mech)__________GDI Fortress Tower (Heavy Base Defense)
Nod Redeemer (4 legged heavy Cyborg)__GDI Triton (Titan support Mech)
Nod/Scrin WotW Tripod_________________GDI Exciter
______________________________________GDI Ion Charge Collector
Misc and Fun units:
X-Mech Calendar 28 SHP Units
Star Wars Mechs ATAT/ATST
Cyborg Barrack on PPM_________________Mech Factory
Mutant Tiberium Flyer
yt1300 (Millenium Falcon + BIG version)

if you use my units in your mod, please credit me.if you want to use my units on your website please ask me before.

SeekSomethingNew
post Jan 6 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #26

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

Thanks LKO!

Regarding the sidebar text, i will add code to search for CameoText=X,X,X under [Colors], if it exists it will use the values there, if not, it will defualt to LightGrey.

--------------------

Revolutionary
post Jan 7 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #27

Hum-vee
Group Icon

QUOTE (Lin Kuei Ominae @ Jan 1 2010, 02:29 PM) *
both was done afaik by Hyper and i doubt it is only a single byte that you have to change with a hex editor. It was most probably some more code necessary, thus i doubt Hyper will make a tutorial about this. However it is part of Hyperpatch, so don't worry about that.

Yes i understand that, since the Hyper patch will possibly/hopefully cover most of these hacks it would be a waste to see them simply dissapear
as i said if need be i am willing to create tutorials for the hack as long as someone is willing to write down/send me the basics and/or guide me.

QUOTE (Lin Kuei Ominae @ Jan 1 2010, 02:29 PM) *
search for the original names in the exe and then use a hex editor to change them. Just make sure that the names don't become longer. Shorter names is ok, but fill the rest with hex 00. The filesize as well as all offsets in the exe must stay the same!

For DropPod infantry simply search for "ChemLauncher" and after that you find the 2 names "E2" and "E1" at hex offset 30fef4 and 30fef8.
If you would search for the strings "E1" or "E2" you wouldn't find them that fast as these strings appear several times in the exe.

QUOTE (Revolutionary)
know how to do

RE all which can be changed in the sun.ini
why where thay listed here if they cannot also be changed in the exe? may be i have simply read the first post wrong every time.

I know the Hyper patch will cover all of these hacks but what i am asking is "i was wondering if any of these could be made public?"
Yes the Hyper patch will be a great resource, but i dont give a wooden nickel about what it contains it is simply a resource for modder to chose if they want to use it or not, like ETS is. Some people will want to stick to TS 2.03, some to an earlyer version, some a modifyed version and others a modding resource like the Hyper patch or ETS. This isnt like the CnC1 patch or TFD patch which were bug fixes and in the case of Nyerguds patch updates such as highres mode and updates to improve what can be done to the game by mappers (and modders if you include changing which mix file overrides what)My point is these Hacks could be used by people who want to use them, if im right in thinking hyper may have been behind them, hyper patch or no hyperpatch he is still being credited.

Edit: RE sidebar text, i know what you mean by it now, and i think i might know how to do it (searches list of back-up tutorials, research and related finds)

This post has been edited by Revolutionary: Jan 7 2010, 05:43 PM

--------------------

SeekSomethingNew
post Jan 9 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #28

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

A thing you have to understand is, not every hack can be done on a executable that has not been expanded, and that is no easy task, not even a automated application could expand it, its all manual.

I dont mind sharing little hacks, i do little ones for TI and TO here and there, Johan should be able to give you offsets to the ones DTA uses, im far too busy to backtrack on this moment in time.

--------------------

Revolutionary
post Jan 9 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #29

Hum-vee
Group Icon

QUOTE (CCHyper @ Jan 9 2010, 04:51 PM) *
A thing you have to understand is, not every hack can be done on a executable that has not been expanded...

Having put my nose in places and having had a look, I know this is so but do not know to what extent that this is needed TBH but perhaps that is for another time

QUOTE (CCHyper @ Jan 9 2010, 04:51 PM) *
I dont mind sharing little hacks, i do little ones for TI and TO here and there, Johan should be able to give you offsets to the ones DTA uses, im far too busy to backtrack on this moment in time.

I can understand and respect that you are to busy for various reasons (one being related to this topic) i will however ask around to try and find our what people know.

Good luck with the Hyper patch.

--------------------

Bittah Commander
post Jan 10 2010, 01:08 AM
Post #30

Forum Administrator
Group Icon

You're lucky I've documented all hacks that were ever done for DTA tongue.gif

Here's the ones you asked for...
32 facings:
CODE
002530f1: 08 -> 20
0025310f: 07 -> 1F
00253108: 0C -> 0A

Changing max tech level to 7:
CODE
002fb628: 0A -> 07 (default)
001f76a1: 0A -> 07 (slider)

Naturally that 07 can be changed to any other number to get a different max tech level, although I'm not sure if higher than 10 (0A) would work.

--------------------

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:17 PM

XGhozt.com