post Dec 30 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #1

Hum-vee
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,711
Alliance: Scrin
Favorite game: Tiberian Sun

This a map I was hoping to have made earlier.
If there are any Internal Errors than I will see if I can fix it (I got an IE when I tried to play it so if someone can help than it would be great because all the other maps I've done have IEs)

Size: 120x80 Temperate
Minimap and FS shots...

The setup is the people in Britain (the grassy side) have less building space but more Tiberium
In France (the city side), because they are a blue zone and are pro-GDI, they are vice versa (I cant put it any better)

Open for critism...

--------------------

Projects: Power & Ponies {Name Wip}, C&C Tiberian Sun: Setting, C&C: Europian Rampage [Generals mod] (Fomerly C&C Red Alert for RA2)
Formaly known as: Cat-a-strobic-Dj. Sometimes known as: Plasterat (PSN, Xfire, online)
Worker on:C&C: TS: Best of Beta
Go to the top of the page

: | +Quote Post
Shakar
post Dec 30 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Hum-vee
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,068
Alliance: Forgotten

Just looking at the minimap, there is only two ways to engage the enemy from what I see... For GDI, Carryalls across the channel, and Nod, moving underground to the other side... How ever, from what I can see via the minimap, GDI has a better advantage of this because they can just use Carryalls to transport their heavy units tot he front lines while Nod only has 2 units that can travel to the other side, unless you INI enable the carryall for both sides.

--------------------

Current Projects:
Train Pack
Marble Madness Expansion

Finished Projects:
Urban Rush Remake

Daroach
post Dec 30 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #3

Hum-vee
Group Icon

GDI has a better advantage of this because they can just use Carryalls to transport their heavy units tot he front lines

Yes but it would cost them more for each carryall they need for each unit so actualy both are even (besides, I'm going to make a subtrainian tank transporter for nod). wink1.gif

--------------------

Projects: Power & Ponies {Name Wip}, C&C Tiberian Sun: Setting, C&C: Europian Rampage [Generals mod] (Fomerly C&C Red Alert for RA2)
Formaly known as: Cat-a-strobic-Dj. Sometimes known as: Plasterat (PSN, Xfire, online)

Ixith
post Dec 31 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #4

Cyborg Reaper
Group Icon

Member No.: 27
Alliance: Nod

well truly an online map as the AI would fail not to mention that having two players so close to each other wouldn't work in normal skirmish because you can't ally unless playing online. The map idea would work if TS had naval units other than the hover MLRS and what not.

For basic map comments:
-cliffs are too just straight lines which looks kinda weird as cliffs wouldn't be that straight for that long.
-imbalanced: build space is un-even as the players in the top left have a good bit less than the 2 in the bottom right. also the right side has a veinhole which would make it so any Nod player on the right side could get chem missiles while they wouldn't be able to get them on the left side.
-big GDI base area filled with GDI tech and only on one side is a bad idea as it makes capturable opportunities for those on the right which gives them a big advantage. (yes there are tons of tanks there and what not but it's still kinda unfair and can distract the game)
-tons of cliff errors, shore errors, and slope errors. I highly suggest getting the Marble Madness add-on for final sun so you can see more easily how cliffs and shores should go together. (you may also want the FSData.ini fix and the better temperate.ini so you can see shores, crystal cliffs, and destroyable cliffs in finalsun. This should be found in the Mapping Tools at the top of the normal mapping section.)
-When you're map height grows exceedingly on the bottom of the map you need to raise the visible height section. In other words if there is plain white above the blue line you need to raise the blue line up until the white under the tiles is below the blue line. You can do this by going to Map->Edit and then making the last number in the Visible Area a smaller number. If you don't then terrain errors will occur ingame such as what I call terrain bleeding. (the terrain becomes all blurry looking)
-You still haven't quite got the expand your cliffs to the very edge of the map so that slopes don't overflow the side and onto the front of the cliff.
-Concerning your lighting...it will kill someone...no seriously...values of 100.000000 on the colors is WAAAYYY too much unless of course the Ambient lighting is set to something like 0.0001948 but that's not the case and even if it were you'd then have really screwed up building lighting. Try to keep your ambient lighting between 20-100 and your color values between 2-0 (with using the decimals) if you don't you will get really blindingly bright maps with bad ambient lighting effects on the buildings. As for the level that's usually best to keep under 0.032000 which i believe what it starts out as. And this is because if it's higher it will typically make the lighting more blocky around slopes and cliffs (where the map changes height)

I suggest downloading some other player made maps especially from the Spotlighted Map section from here and looking at them to find out how to do something properly if you don't know exactly how to do it yourself. That's a good way to improve your knowledge of finalsun is to see how other people's maps are like and what not.

As for why your map is IEing on you. My first guess was tiberium on slopes however, i don't see any on slopes. (keep in mind that tiberium CAN be placed on slopes but you have to use a special tile that isn't labeled with slope directions and choose the correct one otherwise it will IE and thus no one does it.) Though i am kinda curious as to how you placed your tiberium as i can see different patch kinds in the middle of the fields. That shouldn't be a problem but perhaps if you used one of the special tiberium types for slopes on flat ground it is causing it to IE. Not sure about that though. Another possibility is that all of the graphical errors caused by slopes cutting off due to incorrectly placed, cliff problems, and water shore errors however i don't think the game crashes due to those.
One thing truly caught my interest though...as a quick thought i opened up the Basic Map setting through Edit->Basic. And I noticed that all the boxes that are usually filled out automatically by one of FinalSun's ini's were all blank to the exception of 'Name', 'Only Multiplayer', and 'Addon'. Now i'm not sure why that is but it very well could be the problem. The ini file that dictates what gets put there automatically is the StdMapTS.ini file. So if you could find that file and open it up in notepad or wordpad and post what it says under the [Basic] section that may give us some clues.

Also could you tell more about when the game IEs? Like does it happen in the middle of the battle loading? (when there's a picture and the text pops up saying stuff before you actually start playing) or does it happen as soon as the map loads? or does it happen after X amount of time of playing in the game?

Another thing...try to stick to jpg, png, or gif image files please. BMP images are larger and don't show up unless clicked, on these forums.

Finally I'm going to request that if you've tried to play your maps and they DON'T work due to some unknown problem to NOT post them in the Finished Maps Section as if they are un-playable then they aren't finished in my opinion and probably other people would agree. The best place to post about your map if your map doesn't work would be the basic mapping section area and there you should ask questions that may help with getting an answer to why your map(s) won't work or to get feedback before they are finished.

Sorry about the wall of text but i'm trying to pass along as much information as I can. Hopefully you can bear through all of that and perhaps use it to fix the reason why your maps aren't working and to also better your ability in finalsun. As long as you keep at it you will get better and better with finalsun and make some decent maps. Keep up the interest and work!.

--------------------

Daroach
post Dec 31 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #5

Hum-vee
Group Icon

I can explain the lighting, the game seemed to find the map blanked out so I thought it was that it was too dark so I rased the lighting. Soon the players buildings were very bright and the map had either water missing or the grass was gone so I found if I rased the level parts began to apper and others gone so after many tweeks I gave up.
I've got marble madness but I didn't find any cliff errors, though concerning the shores I cound be botherd being accurite so... yea the shores errors are my fault.
The cliffs were straight because if I tried to make them more natural (pointy and whatever) they would be just eye candy (it would make no difference).
The slope in the north of the French (veinhole) side was done on purpuse, besides, dont slopes overlap cliffs in mud slides and whatnot?
The game IE comes when, on the loading screen, the small texts on the side get to "Secondery scan of combat zone" it sais there is an IE. It doesn't happen now because I put in the values for lighting.
I never knew about the visable area thing... I used the change map because a players tiberium pach was outside te blue line so I incresed the size.

For anything I might of missed the answer is either I don't know or yea whatever.

BTW, do not worry about the paragraph after paragraph of text, I can read you know! tongue.gif

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:34 PM

XGhozt.com