post Nov 23 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #1

Cyborg Reaper
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 27
Alliance: Nod
Favorite game: Tiberian Sun

Well after many delays from me being on an off mapping time here it is. biggrin.gif

Name: Lake Istelv
Map Maker: Ixith
Map Size: 110X115
Players: 2-4
Theatre: Temperate, Lake
Info: This is a 4 player Lake map. The map provides players with a nice place to wreck havoc upon. Plenty of build room for players and there is plenty of tiberium to harvest throughout the map. Tactical possibilities are everywhere such as higher ground, pinchpoints, and the use of bridges. This is my 23rd released map so enjoy it. wink1.gif

Story: Lake Istelv is a very clean lake that has 2 rivers providing it with its water and lets out as 1 river in the South. The communities around the Lake have always been quite productive and active. The area itself has, for the most part, avoided being infected with Tiberium.

yea the story sucks but hey this map wasn't really based off of a story. tongue.gif Also note that Lake Istelv is yet another geographical site of the Leviasc/Holixe/Yelcraz series. tongue.gif

EDIT: Fixed some stuff up.
-Cliff error fixed.
-Day Light has been reduced by 10
-Waterfall Yellow lighting now turns off during day.
-My usual Destroy church scrooge trigger has been added to all the churches.
-Maybe something else? tongue.gif
(for more comments about the edits see post below)

Pics:
Minimap
Attached Image
before day/night loop starts
Attached Image
night
Attached Image
day
Attached Image
MEGA PREVIEW!! Thanks to TeamBlack once again. biggrin.gif So lets all give him a cookie! lol
Attached Image
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Lake_Istelv__2_4_.zip ( 648.68K ) Number of downloads: 420

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

: | +Quote Post
I_Am
post Nov 23 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #2

Hum-vee
Group Icon

Member No.: 642
Alliance: Scrin

Will review when i get done playing tongue.gif

--------------------

Dudeinabox
post Nov 23 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #3

Disc Thrower
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,021

Lighting looks pretty, looked at it in final sun and I like what I see, i'll give it a play at some point soon.

-DIAB

daTSchikinhed
post Nov 23 2007, 09:16 PM
Post #4

Mr. Moosey!
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 13
Alliance: GDI
Favorite game: Tiberium Wars

Win.
Epic win.

Moved to spotlighted. smile.gif

--------------------
I will never give up on the chance go be the Guardian Angel that I promised to be for her.

Music is my life. I love it. I live for it. Currently listening to:

Currently in Camp Taji, Iraq. Scheduled return: 28 April 2010

Warlord
post Nov 23 2007, 09:22 PM
Post #5

Artillery
Group Icon

Member No.: 61

IDIS

It Deserves It's Spotlight. smile.gif

Great detail.
Great lighting.
I like the day/night loop. smile.gif

--------------------

Signature By Aro^

"So long as there are men, there will be wars." - Albert Einstein.

Flying Saucer..

eXit
post Nov 23 2007, 09:27 PM
Post #6

Attack Buggy
Group Icon

Member No.: 347

As i just talked with Ixith over at MSN, I don't think that you should decide if the map gets spotlighted when you haven't even played it. i mean it has been about an hour or less until it was uploaded. I have no doubt that it will be worth the spotlight, but you still can't just go around spotlighting maps. maybe he totally screwed up the gameplay?

daTSchikinhed
post Nov 24 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #7

Mr. Moosey!
Group Icon

Member No.: 13

Played it.
Omni-directional attacks were pretty twisted, and
Maybe it's just my AI, but the Air assaults were pretty nasty on level 2.
and i liked the bridges too, good placement, and gave good opportunities for throttle points. Had to watch up north though.

over all, Final rating:
EPIC WIN

This post has been edited by daTSchikinhed: Nov 24 2007, 12:15 AM

--------------------
I will never give up on the chance go be the Guardian Angel that I promised to be for her.

Music is my life. I love it. I live for it. Currently listening to:

Currently in Camp Taji, Iraq. Scheduled return: 28 April 2010

Aro
post Nov 24 2007, 09:59 AM
Post #8

Cyborg Commando
Group Icon

Member No.: 314

Detail 9 / 10 - As usual, great detailing, not much to say really. Again as usual, the cliffwork is great and the villages and cities look nice too. The only thing that dragged you down from a 10 is the VERY little use of sand. A Little bit of sand in little places looks good once in a while. xD

Lighting 8 / 10 - Once again, as per ususal, the lighting was good too. Before the Day night trigger occured, i was liking the lighting alot, the blueish lighting had a nice feel to it. When it started to get darker, it was still a nice feel. However, come daybreak, the feel had gone, in certain area's the light was too bright, and the waterfall was giving me seizures. blink.gif

Layout 6 / 10 - The map has a pretty cool layout to be fair. Area's link-up, certain places are only accessable through one way, bridges etc. A few tunnels and it'd of been some kind of urban maze. The Layout of the tiberium was what i HATED tongue.gif, no but seriously, the ammount of tiberium next to the bases is not enough, i was running low on funds before i had built a radar. Theres that, and then theres the fact that the tiberium was also pretty far away from bases. Build space looks equal, i see no issues there. So all in all, the tiberium in the layout is the ONLY thing that bothered me.

Triggers 7 / 10 - Day night loop, always nice to see. A Few moving vehicle triggers, again, it's always nice to see, and the light's out thing was a good one too, helped give a little feeling towards the map. Though because of the size of the cities and the little villages on the map, you could've done plenty more moving vehicles.

Overall 7.5 / 10 - I Liked it, i had fun, and the AI wasn't that bad either to be perfectly honest. What dragged the score down was simply the Daybreak lighting, i blame the waterfalls! Burn them with fire! (God knows how you're gonna manage that tongue.gif). The Tiberium was a big drag down, both too far away and too little in some area's where it is most needed. Triggers where fine but the more the merrier y'know?

There you go. Ya' got your damn full review! tongue.gif
Oh, and i found a cliff error (Vengeance is Sweet! biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by Aro: Nov 24 2007, 03:31 PM

--------------------
Aro - Leader of Twisted Insurrection and Evolution.

Tiberian Sun: UMP
Tiberian Sun: Modding Tools
Tiberian Sun: Mapping Tools

"Aro is OP." - TiberianFuture
"Aro for Dictator!" - Droke
"Aro for President!" - CL4ymOr3
"You're Aro, you always win." - daTS
"He's referred to as The Aro because he really is that f*cking awesome!" - Fenring
"Only members of the A.R.O. Society are allowed to use :WAT and related terms (TAW:, :BIGV, etc.)." - Crimsonum
"To Aro, founder and leader of TI, the best public relations and mod manager, great friend, modder and mapper." - Lin Kuei Ominae

ORCACommander
post Nov 24 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #9

SSM Launcher
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

welcome4 back aro and its about time Ixith I am gona have to play this soon

--------------------

Ixith
post Nov 24 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #10

Cyborg Reaper
Group Icon

well thanks for the review Aro. But honestly the tiberium is like that for a reason and thats to make you think whats more important early on in the gameplay. tongue.gif I think you just have to be a little bit more like the AI and start pumping out the harvestors and harvesting the closest 3 fields and any extra areas that have some tiberium Cause when I started harvesting all 3 fields closest to me in game play I was being crammed with cash and kept hearing "silos needed" thing.

As for the waterfalls being too bright. I honestly say they aren't half as bad as usual. Hmmm I might reduce the invis yellow light more.

The little use of sand is cause its a big time not that effected by tiberium yet. If the sand could be used to make decent looking beaches then I would have used it in a few spots but it doesn't so I didn't.

Oh trust me there will be more moving vehicles for the RO version tongue.gif The only problem is with moving vehicles is I didn't quite want to use all the waypoints just yet. I mean I came close to doing so on Yelcraz LOL. (I actually did have them all used on Yelcraz for awhile but i removed a trigger from the final cut which removed quite a few waypoints.)

The day/night loop I though was just like in real life as you get this nice night feel to it but then during the day you just have this bright meh feel. lol This day/night loop actually pushed into a more real like day and night I thought as most just hardly change.

I shall go fix that cliff error which I surprisingly didn't find when doing minor changes here and there awhile back.

--------------------

Crash
post Nov 24 2007, 06:38 PM
Post #11

Ghost Stalker
Group Icon

Member No.: 173

I shall give a proper review once TS is installed, it is currently being installed..

--------------------
Perfection can never be achieved; it's merely approachable.

Aro
post Nov 24 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #12

Cyborg Commando
Group Icon

blink.gif...

I Think Ixith is going senile.

See?

This post has been edited by Aro: Nov 24 2007, 11:35 PM

--------------------

"He's referred to as The Aro because he really is that f*cking awesome!" - Fenring
"Only members of the A.R.O. Society are allowed to use :WAT and related terms (TAW:, :BIGV, etc.)." - Crimsonum
"To Aro, founder and leader of TI, the best public relations and mod manager, great friend, modder and mapper." - Lin Kuei Ominae

Tratos
post Nov 25 2007, 02:22 AM
Post #13

Seasonal Moderator
Group Icon

Member No.: 189

Lawl, trust you Aro...

Aro
post Nov 25 2007, 07:14 AM
Post #14

Cyborg Commando
Group Icon

biggrin.gif

LOL. It's good to be back. tongue.gif

--------------------

Crash
post Nov 25 2007, 11:45 AM
Post #15

Ghost Stalker
Group Icon

Now that I got TS installed, I'm giving it a proper review.

Detail: It has to be 10\10, I can't say much more. It's reaching a level of total perfection!

Layout: I love it. I once again don't have much to say. 9\10

Lighting: You've taken control of the lighting very well. I love it. But the lighting does become too bright at day time. 7.5\10

Gameplay: Hmm, you gotta move to another islands, and the bridges can be destroyed to prevent the other player getting around. And I think it could be played like a 2 vs 2 map. 8\10

Overall: Something I DO NOT like is how you built the cities. This seriously drags the total score down a bit.. 8\10
I think it should be spotlighted if you prevent the lighting becoming so bright. But to be honest I'd like a change in the cities too mad.gif
But overall, nice work!

--------------------

azri_apoc
post Nov 25 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #16

Flamethrower Infantry
Group Icon

Member No.: 928

great maps!!!!, also a great mapmaker. wink1.gif

--------------------

Ixith
post Nov 25 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #17

Cyborg Reaper
Group Icon

QUOTE (Aro @ Nov 24 2007, 06:34 PM) *
blink.gif...

I Think Ixith is going senile.

See?

actually I don't believe I am. I looked at my copy of the map and did not see these 2 errors. However, I talked to a few others and they said they were there to. This quite confused me as I have not changed or fixed any cliff parts in more than like 2 weeks and before I had Zipped. So the only conclusion that I could come up with is that somehow it got corrupted or errored during the compression process into the ZIP and those 2 cliff errors formed. At least thats the only thing I can think of as my copy is the only copy that was not ZIPed up and the only things I have changed since before I ZIPed is adding in special RO stuff.

but anyways I did fix the first one which was there.
Also other fixes/edits include
-Overall Day Light has been reduced by 10 so now it shouldn't be as bright during the day.
-Waterfall yellow lights have been set to turn off during the day time so they don't get really bright.
-Added in the Scrooge text trigger that I always have for when you destroy the churches. lol
and I think thats it...maybe tongue.gif

QUOTE ("Crashking")
Something I DO NOT like is how you built the cities. This seriously drags the total score down a bit..

and can you please give some examples of just why you don't like how the cities were made?

--------------------

Crash
post Nov 25 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #18

Ghost Stalker
Group Icon

My bad, here's a screen. The buildings are turned towards an empty part of pavement. It looks odd IMO. The buildings are a bit too open placed. And there's too much open pavement with nothing on it in the middle there. I don't think it looks realistic. Sorry man.

This post has been edited by CrashKing: Nov 25 2007, 08:39 PM
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

Team Black
post Nov 25 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #19

Core Defender
Group Icon

Member No.: 123

looks fine to me huh.gif

--------------------

Aro
post Nov 25 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #20

Cyborg Commando
Group Icon

Same. schmoll.gif
The only thing about the cities, that I don't like, is that all the TS buildings look damaged, so the pavement should be damaged too.

--------------------

Ixith
post Nov 25 2007, 11:45 PM
Post #21

Cyborg Reaper
Group Icon

now I can understand Aro's statement about how the pavement should be more cracked and dirty with the use of those extra pavement tiles but as for Crashking's I don't see how it is relavent seeing as TS is a 2d engine and you can only see the sides of the building that is facing towards the player. You can't actually determine if that is the front thats facing towards the player. although some buildings you can such as the gas station but the ones you have shown can not be truly determined as you can not see the other side and the shape along of the top doesn't tell you enough. I thought we had gone over this once before huh.gif meh oh well you can stick by your argument I guess...

anymore comments?

--------------------

Crash
post Nov 26 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #22

Ghost Stalker
Group Icon

Then, once again there's a huge open space of pavement there.. I've never seen an open area of pavement between some buildings. To me that scene just looks terribly stupid. The front you see shall be used as a front, as it's the front you see, and if it's got lightpost to it you definitely should. I dunno why you don't just put it up so it looks like the front is the front facing towards the road. It looks many times better, and especially when you don't have that huge open area of unused pavement for nothing. The buildings just look randomly placed, it has to be organized, a real city\town is organized. If you're in a town, the buildings stand with its front towards the road most of the time, and there's not a huge unused area of pavement, the only thing that's close is a parking house. It's hard to make it look like a real town, but atleast try.

This post has been edited by CrashKing: Nov 26 2007, 12:36 AM

--------------------

Aro
post Nov 26 2007, 02:08 AM
Post #23

Cyborg Commando
Group Icon

Then cities in Norway must be really close together. How do people breathe? huh.gif
I'm pretty sure everyone would agree with the fact cities have to be neat, and all... But when it comes to them being too far apart or too close together, that really doesn't matter. Car parks, paved walks etc... Just use imagination. wink2.gif

--------------------

Crash
post Nov 26 2007, 07:25 AM
Post #24

Ghost Stalker
Group Icon

Don't talk away from it, you know you won't find places like that in your own town, it's not common to see a huge block of empty, non-used pavement with randomly spread around buildings, and a warehouse in the middle of nowhere on pavement.

The buildings are placed close to eachother, you know that.

When humans build towns, they push the space to the limit, they don't leave unused pavement. They organize it somehow.

--------------------

Aro
post Nov 26 2007, 07:38 AM
Post #25

Cyborg Commando
Group Icon

No, that's actualy not true. Sometimes the space is needed for things in the future, like another building or a park, a playground, anything like that.

Can you see how spaced out that city is?

--------------------

Crash
post Nov 26 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #26

Ghost Stalker
Group Icon

I really can't, they've built it almost to the limit, but there are some trees there.

There ISN'T anything like Ixith's town suggests in the reality, you gotta be damn clever to find it. The buildings also looked randomly placed which I dislike. But let's end the arguement, it's going nowhere wacko.gif The space will be used at once, there won't be such open areas with pavement with nothing on. Especially not with a building's front towards it.

--------------------

Dudeinabox
post Nov 26 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #27

Disc Thrower
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,021

Just replace it with parking spaces perhaps? In all honesty it looks fine to me and where I live (peterborough UK) you find a fair few places like that.

-DIAB

Team Black
post Nov 26 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #28

Core Defender
Group Icon

Member No.: 123

Well I like to put the buildings next to the road, with parking spots sometimes between each building, then i the middle of the complex have something else like a park or greenery

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Team Black: Nov 26 2007, 07:06 PM

--------------------

ORCACommander
post Nov 26 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #29

SSM Launcher
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

that empty pavement is just alley ways which would use a different type or if road tile if he was using tx but since regular ts doesn't have small paved roads your stuck with that open pavement

--------------------

Crash
post Nov 26 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #30

Ghost Stalker
Group Icon

Yes, but when you don't have any terrain to show that it's an alley properly, you shouldn't make alleys. It's like making forests without trees.

--------------------

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:48 PM

XGhozt.com