post Jul 29 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #1

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1
Alliance: Nod
Favorite game: Tiberian Sun

I'm not sure how I missed this one, but a recent discussion on the official C&C forum has brought this to my attention. There is one very troubling point which may upset the community, so I will make sure I highlight it below. Here is the interview.

Q: If I'm facing a higher-level player, will their units be more powerful than mine?

A: Absolutely not. As players progress in levels, they will unlock units, structures, and upgrades that allow them to affect the game world in different ways. New units change the counter scheme or how the opposing player must use their units. Higher-tier units are not simply lower-level units with increased attack power. Consequently, a low-level player will have everything necessary to counter any unit in the game.

Q: Will C&C4 include upgrades?

A: Yes! All classes in C&C4 have a wide array of upgrades available to them. This includes global upgrades and upgrades achieved through other means.

Q: Will C&C4 use the SAGE engine?

A: C&C4 is built upon the same engine as Red Alert 3, with many additional improvements. More information on the advancements made to the engine will be forthcoming.

Q: Has the pathfinding been improved in C&C4?

A: A significant amount of additional code work has been undertaken to ensure that pathfinding in the presence of ten large Crawlers will not fail under extremely stressful circumstances. The pathfinding team continues to refine the pathfinder on a week-by-week basis.

Q: Will there be any base building in C&C4?

A: The defense class can indeed lay out a full base, which includes a wide array of different assault and support structures.

Q: Will there be epic units, similar to Kane's Wrath? Are the Crawlers epic units?

A: While there are many powerful and earth-shattering units in C&C4, all units ascribe to the counter scheme and can be defeated quite handily by even a low-level player's arsenal. While all Crawlers gain weaponry, the power of the Crawler is in its ability to produce units and structures, and you will find that they should not be left unprotected for long.

Q: A recent article noted that the units being used missed against moving targets, is this interaction going to play a major role in the game?

A: There are a large number of interesting unit interactions in C&C4, nearly every unit is different! In this particular case, the units being used had a chance to miss while moving themselves. This interaction strongly rewards the player for stop-micromanagement (stopping the units right before they fire), while enemy units can make use of the interaction to kite the assaulting player, forcing them to miss.

Q: Will there be any penalty to losing the Crawler? Can the Crawler instantly respawn?

A: There are several penalties to losing your Crawler during a match, which are currently in flux as we continue to fine-tune our gameplay. Currently, there is a 20-second respawn delay when the Crawler is lost, and any upgrades in progress must be restarted. This allows players to harass player tech and map control by specifically targetting the Crawler.

Q: Is the Mammoth Tank going to be in C&C4? Is the large walker the Mammoth Tank?

A: The large walker seen in the released screenshots is the Mastodon. The treaded Mammoth Tank will indeed be making a comeback but has not yet been shown. Stay tuned!

Q: Is the large, crashed ship seen in recent screenshots the Support Crawler?

A: Nope! The Support Crawler is similar in size to the already-seen Offense Crawler and has not been seen yet.

Q: Is there a population cap? What are the numbers (X/100) seen above the units on the UI?

A: The numbers shown above the units tab indeed represent a population cap. In C&C4, players are limited in the number of units they can make by Command Points, which allows the player to make smart decisions about which units they want to produce depending on the current state of the battlefield and limits single-unit spam and snowballing of attack power.

Q: Does the Crawler gain experience and level up during a match, like a hero?

A: While the Crawler can gain veterancy, just like a unit, all of the experience gained on the battlefield is gained directly by the player, allowing the player to unlock additional units, structures, powers, and upgrades, once the battle is complete.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

: | +Quote Post
Rampastring
post Jul 29 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #2

Tick Tank
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 957

QUOTE (Python @ Jul 29 2009, 07:44 PM) *
Q: Is there a population cap? What are the numbers (X/100) seen above the units on the UI?

A: The numbers shown above the units tab indeed represent a population cap. In C&C4, players are limited in the number of units they can make by Command Points, which allows the player to make smart decisions about which units they want to produce depending on the current state of the battlefield and limits single-unit spam and snowballing of attack power.

Population cap? In C&C? Such a system was ok in Ground Control, but I hated it in Universe at War and.. it just doesn't belong in C&C.

Unit spamming actually always was an important part of C&C; I always capture all Tiberium fields to get an economical advantage and then build a massive army with so much firepower that the enemy has no chance of winning.

Also, if they mean spamming one overpowered unit, that has never really worked (or, maybe in RA1 (soviet heavy tanks), but not in TD or TS - both games have units to counter other units with).

This post has been edited by ^Rampastein: Jul 29 2009, 07:16 PM

--------------------

Team Black
post Jul 29 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Core Defender
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 123
Alliance: GDI

TD and TS you couldn't build units fast enough to where a pop cap was needed.
Despite that though, I like what I see. sort of like a Call of Duty where you unlock new weapons and silencers and stuff

--------------------

Lin Kuei Ominae
post Jul 30 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #4

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

Member No.: 281
Alliance: CABAL

QUOTE (Python @ Jul 29 2009, 05:44 PM) *
Q: A recent article noted that the units being used missed against moving targets, is this interaction going to play a major role in the game?

A: There are a large number of interesting unit interactions in C&C4, nearly every unit is different! In this particular case, the units being used had a chance to miss while moving themselves. This interaction strongly rewards the player for stop-micromanagement (stopping the units right before they fire), while enemy units can make use of the interaction to kite the assaulting player, forcing them to miss.

Sounds for me they try to sell this feature as if it would be something awesome new, while it existed already in TD.

All these points really convinced me, that i won't buy this game.
This is no C&C without real Basebuilding via MCV and with a PopCap.

This post has been edited by Lin Kuei Ominae: Jul 30 2009, 12:33 AM

--------------------
Co-Leader of Twisted Insurrection
my public units for you
Nod units:____________________________GDI units:
Nod Scorpion__________________________GDI 3A Kodiak
Nod Tachyon Tank______________________GDI Medusa (Triple Cannon Mech)
Nod Goliath___________________________GDI Behemoth (medium size Mech)
Nod Cobra (fast medium mech)__________GDI Battleship Aurora
Nod Siegebot (light MG-Mech)__________GDI Fortress Tower (Heavy Base Defense)
Nod Redeemer (4 legged heavy Cyborg)__GDI Triton (Titan support Mech)
Nod/Scrin WotW Tripod_________________GDI Exciter
______________________________________GDI Ion Charge Collector
Misc and Fun units:
X-Mech Calendar 28 SHP Units
Star Wars Mechs ATAT/ATST
Cyborg Barrack on PPM_________________Mech Factory
Mutant Tiberium Flyer
yt1300 (Millenium Falcon + BIG version)

if you use my units in your mod, please credit me.if you want to use my units on your website please ask me before.

2kool4u526
post Jul 30 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #5

Attack Buggy
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,553

There is bound to be a mod that gets rid of the crawler and replaces it with an MCV

--------------------
Transferring Files...
Initiating, Please stand by...

Welcome
       to the
BOT DESTROYERv 5.26
(GAMEZER EDITION)

Lin Kuei Ominae
post Jul 31 2009, 01:17 AM
Post #6

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

Member No.: 281

given that they release an SDK and make it modable.
However it's not worth to pay for a game which needs to be modded afterwards to change it into a real C&C.

Westwoods C&C was modded to make it even more perfect and it was fun.
EA's C&C was necessary to be modded as it was no real C&C.
Then i can go right to EA and pay half the prize for the engine and cutscenes only and do the rest of the job alone.

--------------------
Co-Leader of Twisted Insurrection
my public units for you
Nod units:____________________________GDI units:
Nod Scorpion__________________________GDI 3A Kodiak
Nod Tachyon Tank______________________GDI Medusa (Triple Cannon Mech)
Nod Goliath___________________________GDI Behemoth (medium size Mech)
Nod Cobra (fast medium mech)__________GDI Battleship Aurora
Nod Siegebot (light MG-Mech)__________GDI Fortress Tower (Heavy Base Defense)
Nod Redeemer (4 legged heavy Cyborg)__GDI Triton (Titan support Mech)
Nod/Scrin WotW Tripod_________________GDI Exciter
______________________________________GDI Ion Charge Collector
Misc and Fun units:
X-Mech Calendar 28 SHP Units
Star Wars Mechs ATAT/ATST
Cyborg Barrack on PPM_________________Mech Factory
Mutant Tiberium Flyer
yt1300 (Millenium Falcon + BIG version)

if you use my units in your mod, please credit me.if you want to use my units on your website please ask me before.

CommanderSpartan
post Jul 31 2009, 02:27 AM
Post #7

Cyborg
Group Icon

Member No.: 969

I'm gonna kill Jeremy Feasel.

--------------------
The one true rule of halo is Kill or be Killed.

Bittah Commander
post Jul 31 2009, 03:13 AM
Post #8

Forum Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 5

Can't say I mind the popcap... And maybe it can even be turned off.

Still, I hope that when units are moving at a constant speed and do a drive-by on a stationary target, they don't miss...

--------------------

Darkstorm
post Aug 1 2009, 03:54 AM
Post #9

Disc Thrower
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,099

All I can say is I hope that the pop cap can be turned off in skirmish, Campaign, or LAN or there is going to be on more suicide caused by EA's stupidity. I really don't mind the crawler, yeah it deviates from C&C tradition but it sounds interesting, though it might suck like EA's Dozers in Generals, those made C&C feel like Age of Empires.

--------------------

sniper
post Oct 16 2009, 01:34 PM
Post #10

Disc Thrower
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045

Too many people are hating the crawler for no reason. Can't they just appreciate giant god-whales?
And the whole "This game is to different to be C&C"....that doesn't mean anything. I still am not sure if this game will be good or not but not enough people are giving it a chance

--------------------

Rampastring
post Oct 16 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #11

Tick Tank
Group Icon

QUOTE (sniper @ Oct 16 2009, 04:34 PM) *
I still am not sure if this game will be good or not but not enough people are giving it a chance

That's because if people want to play real-time tactics games, they'll play Ground Control series or World in Conflict. However, C&C has always been RTS and changing the oldest RTS serie to RTT just.. well, most of the RTS fans won't like the game.

I'd also wish it was RTS, but I also like RTT's and I have mixed opinions about the game.

--------------------

Tore
post Oct 16 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #12

Medium Tank
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 290
Favorite game: Tiberian Dawn

QUOTE (^Rampastein @ Oct 16 2009, 10:12 PM) *
That's because if people want to play real-time tactics games, they'll play Ground Control series or World in Conflict. However, C&C has always been RTS and changing the oldest RTS serie to RTT just.. well, most of the RTS fans won't like the game.

I'd also wish it was RTS, but I also like RTT's and I have mixed opinions about the game.

C&C the oldest? What? WarCraft is older than C&C and was turned into a MMORPG...at least from RTS to RTT is a better change.

And by the way the oldest RTS series is Dune tongue.gif

--------------------

Orac
post Oct 16 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #13

Flamethrower Infantry
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,264

Yeah, I was thinking of Dune when I read that. Actually, speaking of Dune, the Crawler would make more sense in a Dune game, in my opinion.

So long as EA suspends disbelief within the game by making the units look plausible, I don't think that many things in C&C4 are really that terrible.

--------------------

QUOTE (jadems)
[TS] is a once in a while game. You can go away, but you can never leave.

sniper
post Oct 17 2009, 02:55 AM
Post #14

Disc Thrower
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045

I play most types of games so I don't care if its a RTS or RTT or some other three letter thingy. The only rant i have about this game at the moment is WHERE BE THE SCRIN!!! What happened to the big invasion force that was talked about at the end of the scrin campaign in C&C3? All they'd have to do is give the scrin giant carrier ships instead of crawlers. It makes me cry cry.gif

--------------------

Rampastring
post Oct 17 2009, 07:54 AM
Post #15

Tick Tank
Group Icon

QUOTE (Tore @ Oct 17 2009, 12:16 AM) *
C&C the oldest? What? WarCraft is older than C&C and was turned into a MMORPG...at least from RTS to RTT is a better change.

And by the way the oldest RTS series is Dune tongue.gif

AFAIK C&C95 was the game which made RTSs and Westwood known roll.gif (and I wasn't sure about Warcraft 1's release date).

But you're correct, Dune 2 is the oldest "modern" RTS.

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:32 PM

XGhozt.com