IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Showing off my first map., I have a minimap ready.
Scorch
post Mar 5 2008, 02:50 AM
Post #1

Commando
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,092
Alliance: GDI
Favorite game: Tiberian Sun

So, if you've already read my very first post, you would already know I've been working on a map, which I plan on calling either Swamp Rampage or Terretorial Wars. It's to be a symmetrical map, with some fun triggers. If plan on giving it a darkish blue to dark green lighting effect and make the landscape look swampy.

This is only a minimap, and if you haven't noticed tongue.gif there are some errors I need to fix. You can see the bottom left corner cliffs are straight, don't worry I'll fix that. The one dirt road is also straight, that will be fixed too. The only reason why so many small details have already been started is because I wanted to see what the map would be best suited to look like, so I decided on a nice, swampy look.

There will be limited Tiberium in the security of the bases, so the main source of funds will be The Pit, which is filled with blue Tiberium in the center of the city. In the city, there will be several civilian hostiles, along with many buildings up for grabs. I will also add some triggers, but not like Ion Storms and Meteor Showers. I plan on adding things such as foot patrols through the swamps, mutant attacks on bases, and several other things like such.

If you think something should be added, let me know. Of course the map is faaaar from finished, so many things will be changed.

Thank you for any comments you may have for me, and please, this is my very first map.

EDIT: Yay, the pic link worked. I'll have some images ready soon now!

This post has been edited by Scorch: Mar 5 2008, 02:52 AM
Go to the top of the page

: | +Quote Post
Ixith
post Mar 5 2008, 04:18 AM
Post #2

Cyborg Reaper
Group Icon

Member No.: 27
Alliance: Nod

Well I personally dislike symmetrical maps...however they do have their own potential for being fun.

BTW how large is the map exactly?
I ask because when looking at the thumbnail of the minimap it appears like it is maybe a 80X80...but when you look based on that you can't really see the finalsun view portion. (the red box which is usually a to scale thing of the map) So when you click on the enlarged image you can see that the map is well over 100X100 I'd say. If I had to take a guess I'd say its around a 130X130.

anyways, can't wait to see more. Make sure to make the symmetricalness of the map to appear as much non-symmetrical as possible though. wink1.gif

--------------------

Altzan
post Mar 5 2008, 01:22 PM
Post #3

Flamethrower Infantry
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,057
Favorite game: Tiberian Dawn

Looks like a great map so far. Can't wait for some in-game screenies thumbup.gif

--------------------
Altzan

Scorch
post Mar 5 2008, 01:44 PM
Post #4

Commando
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ixith @ Mar 4 2008, 11:18 PM) *
Well I personally dislike symmetrical maps...however they do have their own potential for being fun.

Make sure to make the symmetricalness of the map to appear as much non-symmetrical as possible though. wink1.gif

I have known the first and the second. wink1.gif

Funny, isn't it, that I can't remember the size of my own map? Anyway, I really don't like perfectly symmetrical maps. Things will be different, but the map in general will be symmetrical, with nearly the same strengths and weaknesses on all sides. Thing is, I want to put up structures that players can capture which give the player a special unit. The unit will vary from location.

Crash
post Mar 6 2008, 07:00 AM
Post #5

Ghost Stalker
Group Icon

Member No.: 173

You can check map size by edit - map wink1.gif

And I also dislike symmetric maps, they're terribly boring, but they're good practice for detail and general use of final sun I guess, just don't get used to making symmetric maps wink1.gif

--------------------
Perfection can never be achieved; it's merely approachable.

SeekSomethingNew
post Mar 6 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #6

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

Member No.: 208

Symmetric, please fix. This is not Tiberium Wars sly.gif

--------------------

Scorch
post Mar 7 2008, 02:07 AM
Post #7

Commando
Group Icon

English is my first language, and amazingly I still make mistakes. Anyway, I'm not really THAT BAD at mapping. I know how to find the size, which is 140-140.

Oh yeah, they make for really good team fights. Especially when your enemy defeats your ally early in the game.

Altzan
post Mar 7 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #8

Flamethrower Infantry
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,057
Favorite game: Tiberian Dawn

I guess I'm an anomaly- i like symmetrical maps. tongue.gif

--------------------
Altzan

Shakar
post Mar 7 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #9

Hum-vee
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,068
Alliance: Forgotten

I never had a love for symetric maps at all, since I fisrt played any RTS game. I loved maps that wern't symetric, but since I'm a member here I have to give my fair, critical opinions.

Scorch, your map looks as if it is turning out well so far, I agree with the others about your dirt roads and that cliff thing, but from the map preview of what you have done, it looks good so far. When you release the map, I'll download it and play it and give another review about it. Though I've no love for symetric maps, I'll give a fair opinion on yours once it's completed. =)

~Da Shakster, Shakar Productions

--------------------

Current Projects:
Train Pack
Marble Madness Expansion

Finished Projects:
Urban Rush Remake

Scorch
post Mar 7 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #10

Commando
Group Icon

Aarg. Well, no one has said much about the roads and the cliffs. As I said, that will be fixed. (SOON.) Also, Altzan, I also like symmetric maps, but only when there are many different things in each area. I'm currently trying to perfect the lighting, (You know, no one likes bad lighting, especially me when I'm testing it out.) As soon as that's done, I'll get a new pic of the minimap and The Pit.

Thank's all of the responses!

Scorch
post Mar 8 2008, 03:27 AM
Post #11

Commando
Group Icon

I've got a pic or two now. Sorry for the double post though.

Here, I have a very amusing, very stubborn, almost impossible to get rid of glitch. It happened after I got rid of the tunnel that was there. Now, I have made sure every part of the tunnel was "erased" and completely gone, but this just happened. I have the same error in the top-right base.

Another pic of The Pit. I still think it's too bright, and the ambient lighting is too dark. I'll have that fixed. Also, the cliffs here I have not yet fixed.

I'm the green MLRS floating around in The Pit. The orange idiots are sending out a whole bunch of Juggernauts. You can also see a few civilian troops in the center, converging to attack my little MLRS which they already nearly killed. Then they did. Let us all take a moment of silence in rememberence of that brave driver.

Now, The Pit is literally why the city is there. I've got a lil' story for it which I just thought of while waiting for the pics to upload.
Lake Emerald was once a beautifull pond, albeit very deep. For years it has provided clean, fresh, crisp water to local residents who farmed for a living. It was the backbone of the economy of the city of Harvest. It was the city's pride and joy, the very symbol of Harvest. People of Harvest would defend it, even die over it.
When Tiberium begane ravaging the planet, a lone terrorist had a bundle of the crystal dropped into Lake Emerald, ultimately ruining the region. As Tiberium slowly destroyed the ecosystem, changed the seasons, polluted our air, Harvest was falling into shambles. A "civil war" erupted between the remaining residents who hadn't evacuated. The once proud city was ruined, demolished, removed from the map. Tiberium slowly altered the area. Slowly, the once rich land began to erode away. Rains became more frequent, and the occurance of ion storms became a daily thing. Over time, the region was turned into a swamp, nothing but a Tiberium induced swamp. The once city of Harvest was lost, overrun by un-nature. The very symbol of Harvest dried up, and became a large sandy pit. The Tiberium dropped into the pond mutated, became blue, a poisoned the area. Nothing lives in the region but a few surviving residents. Today, the mutants and "humans" of the area still war with each other, fighting over a lost cause. When Nod and GDI scouts re-discovered Harvest, it soon became apparant of the importance of the city and the surrounding swamps. Tiberium harvesting operations were planned, and full restoration was in mind by GDI. Four armies converge in the outskirts, preparing for a long battle that will take the lives of many...

This post has been edited by Scorch: Mar 8 2008, 03:28 AM

Crash
post Mar 9 2008, 01:02 PM
Post #12

Ghost Stalker
Group Icon

The blue is 3x intenser than it should be. The radius of the lighting is also a bit too big.

--------------------

Scorch
post Mar 9 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #13

Commando
Group Icon

Brightness also affects how big the radius is. I think. Also, I had already said it was too bright, I have already fixed it. I just have to fix that annoying tunnel problem thing before I can continue. BTW: The green lighting in the first pic is actually good. MS Paint just makes it look really bad.

Also, you double posted.

ChielScape
post Mar 9 2008, 09:20 PM
Post #14

SSM Launcher
Group Icon

Member No.: 33

nice. keep up the good work.

--------------------
Admin Note: Please refer to signature rules.

Crash
post Mar 12 2008, 09:59 PM
Post #15

Ghost Stalker
Group Icon

Ahh, shoot me tongue.gif Well, it's caused by accidentally clicking "Add reply" twice tongue.gif

BTW, I just noticed that size is 140x140, which is VERY large actually. You shouldn't make maps that large when you make your first map - it's a lot more difficult.

--------------------

NodTrooper
post Apr 30 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #16

Disc Thrower
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,050

I'm working on my first map too....and I tried to play it but it came up pitch black...I couldn't see crap!

Scorch
post Apr 30 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #17

Commando
Group Icon

Hmm, I wonder why I keep forgetting to update this... I will then, soon.

Also, I have had that problem before. Try checking some of your triggers, such as the reveal map trigger (if you have that.) among others having to do with radar and how far you are zoomed. Sometimes for some reason they might mess up your radar, screen, etc. Happens to me, at least. If you are playing a mod (something you made or someone else has made), you may not be able to play at all. It's a problem I have had before, and because of this I had to redo everything I had done. It's something to do with the playable factions.

NodTrooper
post May 20 2008, 09:03 PM
Post #18

Disc Thrower
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,050

God I hate triggers, I thought make maps would be easier, but I guess not...

Aro
post May 21 2008, 08:03 AM
Post #19

Cyborg Commando
Group Icon

Member No.: 314

God I hate triggers, I thought make maps would be easier, but I guess not...

Press F1 in FinalSun...

--------------------
Aro - Leader of Twisted Insurrection and Evolution.

Tiberian Sun: UMP
Tiberian Sun: Modding Tools
Tiberian Sun: Mapping Tools

"Aro is OP." - TiberianFuture
"Aro for Dictator!" - Droke
"Aro for President!" - CL4ymOr3
"You're Aro, you always win." - daTS
"He's referred to as The Aro because he really is that f*cking awesome!" - Fenring
"Only members of the A.R.O. Society are allowed to use :WAT and related terms (TAW:, :BIGV, etc.)." - Crimsonum
"To Aro, founder and leader of TI, the best public relations and mod manager, great friend, modder and mapper." - Lin Kuei Ominae

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:21 PM

XGhozt.com