post Jul 8 2008, 06:11 AM
Post #1

Minigunner
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,208
Alliance: GDI
Favorite game: Tiberian Dawn

So I'm... I usually know what I'm doing when it comes to C&C modding (insert rant about how modding the original Tiberian Dawn is probably what lead me to become a Computer Science major here), buuuut... okay, to the point. I'm trying to use the 4TNK voxel that is present in Tiberian Sun in DTA. It works easily enough, but the voxel is all nasty looking, like it has the wrong palette.

I was trying to take apart the Orca voxel and see if I could... somehow figure out what palette it used (if this is even the issue) and apply it to this other voxel... no... that's not right. I'm not sure what to do. wacko.gif

Also this mod rawks, me and my little brother were LANning it up earlier. :X
Go to the top of the page

: | +Quote Post
Team Black
post Jul 8 2008, 06:52 AM
Post #2

Core Defender
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 123
Favorite game: Tiberian Sun

You'e right, Bittah did modify the TS pallettes. you might have to recolor the 4tnh voxel by hand using DTA's palettes if you'd want to use it (extract the palettes from the DTA mixes and put them in the "palletes" folder in the voxel editor directory)

--------------------

The DvD
post Jul 8 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #3

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2
Alliance: Nod

Actually, you should be able to do it like this..

Find the 4tnk.vxl using XCC Mixer and make sure you're viewing it using the standard TS unittem/unitsno palette.
Copy the file as .pcx
Find the .pcx files, select the first one, use the modified DTA palette, and use Copy as .vxl.
Make sure the 'Use for conversion' thing is selected in the View menu.

You may have to re-apply the normals, i'm not sure about that. Just use the normalizer tool from PPM: http://www.ppmsite.com/downloads/Install_CubeNormals_1.5.exe

--------------------
Please contact me on msn if you need me for anything, thanks.

Treeko
post Jul 8 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #4

Minigunner
Group Icon

I am doing what The DvD has suggested, not to mention I was having a problem with XCC Mixer finding my Tiberian Sun directory, but it seems that the only thing I can manage to do is cause the game to crash when the mission is loading.

1. I viewed 4tnk.vxl, 4tnkbarl.vxl, and 4tnktur.vxl using unittem.pal
2. I copied 4tnk.vxl, 4tnkbarl.vxl, and 4tnktur.vxl as pcx, with "Use for Conversion" checkmarked.
3. I selected the "unittem.pal" palet from Expand01_DTA.mix
4. I copied 4tnk.vxl, 4tnkbarl.vxl, and 4tnktur.vxl as voxels, with DTA's unittem palet selected, and with "Use for Conversion" selected.
5. I extracted 4tnk.hva, 4tnkbarl.hva, and 4tnktur.hva from TIBSUN.mix -> local.mix.
6. I used XCC Mix Editor to insert my six files, the voxel and hva files, into Expand01_DTA.mix.
7. I saved and compacted Expand01_DTA.mix.
8. I ran DTA.exe, and started a skirmish battle.
9. During the load screen, the game freezes, and I can move my cursor around.
10. ???
11. PROFIT!

This seems to be the sum of my experience. =[

Team Black
post Jul 8 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #5

Core Defender
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 123

ah, you need an HVA files - those tell the game where the voxel is in relation to the selection box. Without it the game will freeze

You'll find the 4tnk's HVAs in the tibsun local.mix, just extract them and put em with the voxel files

--------------------

Treeko
post Jul 8 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #6

Minigunner
Group Icon

QUOTE (Team Black @ Jul 8 2008, 02:15 PM) *
ah, you need an HVA files - those tell the game where the voxel is in relation to the selection box. Without it the game will freeze

You'll find the 4tnk's HVAs in the tibsun local.mix, just extract them and put em with the voxel files

My step five was...

5. I extracted 4tnk.hva, 4tnkbarl.hva, and 4tnktur.hva from TIBSUN.mix -> local.mix.

I did that. =[

The DvD
post Jul 8 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #7

Webmaster
Group Icon

I think he did that, Team Black.... Seems to me he did everything right. Treeko, now that you have had an error, there should be an except.txt in your TS folder.. upload it here so we can take a look at it wink1.gif

There's a small chance that your DTA mix is corrupted. I suggest using XCC Mixer to add files to a .mix. It's more stable. Just use drag and drop.

--------------------

Bittah Commander
post Jul 9 2008, 03:27 AM
Post #8

Forum Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 5

Actually, I can't add new files to my existing Expand01_DTA.mix file without corrupting it myself; I can only make a new Expand01_DTA.mix file (which is what I do every time before I release a new version of DTA). It's best if you make a new mix file named Expand02_DTA.mix and put your own files in there (same goes for the DCache01.mix file; adding new files shouldn't cause any problems, but it might still be best if you make a DCache02.mix file for your own files instead).
Also, any file from the Expand mix will also be read directly from the TS folder, so there's really no need to put voxels in a mix file if it's merely a personal mod.

--------------------

Treeko
post Jul 9 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #9

Minigunner
Group Icon

Aight then... I don't really want to end up with a bunch of random voxels and sh*t in my tiberian sun directory though. D:

But thanks! I will tryyyyyy and hopefully succeed.

The DvD
post Jul 9 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #10

Webmaster
Group Icon

Indeed Bittah, once a .mix file is corrupted by XCC Mix Editor it can't be modified in any way it seems wacko.gif

--------------------

Treeko
post Jul 10 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #11

Minigunner
Group Icon

Same thread, new idea (!)

I am now trying to add more sides to choose from than GDI and Nod.
I tried to follow the structure of Sides and Houses that RA2 rules.ini used, but I seem to be stuck. I can get the 3rd side selectable from the menu in a skirmish battle, they start out with an MCV and some soldiers (I added "newside" to the Owner= field in some units, and buildings).

Once I deploy the MCV, the normal buildings appear in the sidebar, that is, a power plant and three types of walls, but they are all greyed out. I click them and it says "Building", but nothing happens. If I mess with the Side and House properties in rules.ini, I can get my new side to sort of replace either GDI or Nod, but this is not what I desire.

tl;dr How do I added third side?

Treeko
post Jul 12 2008, 03:15 AM
Post #12

Minigunner
Group Icon

Lol, I should have asked such a general question in this mod forum.

Nevertheless, I googled it and am messing around with this mod.

Bittah Commander, what would you think if I used your work as a template and uh... added allies and soviet from RA1 as extra choosable sides (to the best of my ability)?

Bittah Commander
post Jul 12 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #13

Forum Administrator
Group Icon

Originally I had the same plan for the mod really (I was thinking about possibly even adding the TS sides eventually), but I decided not to go through with it for now (possibly in the future). If you include all credits and the original readme file plus an extra readme file of your own explaining what you did, you've got my permission.
If I do decide to add the RA sides (and possibly TS sides as well) later on and I think your work is good enough, I could possibly even use it.

--------------------

Treeko
post Jul 14 2008, 01:54 AM
Post #14

Minigunner
Group Icon

But of course, the mod is yours, the majority of the credit goes to you.

Also I'm OCD, my work is always good >.>

Unfortunately, I'm having another problem modding this mod. I seem to be unable to extract the palets using XCC mixer, I always get an error. Is there anywhere to download them? Possibly in JASC format?

My current problem is... I mixed and match some SHPs to make a new unit, Mammoth Tank Bottom, SAM turret for a turret. I follow the structure of HTNK, with the same number of images and such.

Currently the game crashes the moment the unit appears (is done being built).

I extracted all the sprites as .pcx using "unittem.pal", or maybe it was "unitem.pal" with one 't'. And then I renamed and resized them, and ended up with "BTNK 0000" - "BTNK 0143".

I used XCC Mixer to copy the PCX's back into a Tiberian Sun SHP, and I have tried placing it in my own "Expand02_DTA.mix", and also tried putting it in "Expand02_DTA.mix -> dcache01.mix". I tried putting the SHP... in a number of other places as well, but nothing seems to work. I'm... unsure what is wrong.

Could I possibly email you the SHP, or... something?

Bittah Commander
post Jul 14 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #15

Forum Administrator
Group Icon

Like my signature says I'm on vacation right now and I don't get a lot of access to computers and when I do, going on internet is all I can do. Try putting the SHP in Expand02_DTA.mix\DCache02.mix.

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:29 AM

XGhozt.com