IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The COICA Act, I suggest reading it and keeping updated on it...
Ixith
post Sep 28 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Cyborg Reaper
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 27
Alliance: Nod
Favorite game: Tiberian Sun

As some or a lot or all of you may know there's currently an act going through it's steps in the US government known as the COICA Act. In general terms it's purpose is to allow the government to more easily stop Internet Sites that in some way shape or form Infringe on Copyrights or promote the infringement of copyrights. The way they would handle it though is essentially censoring those sites out of our internet. And that's where the concern is of course...

The current version available of the actual COICA Act. It's full of jargon that is kinda hard to keep up with but if you take some time and read over it, it'll make some sense. It's also bound to change and when it does i'm pretty sure this site will have the new version on it.

Demandprogress: essentially the campaign site against the COICA Act The area of the site i linked to is why the COICA should be considered bad in their view. It perhaps goes over the top a bit but it's worth reading to get an idea of where the COICA Act could go.

Bare in mind it's suppose to go to Committee review on the 30th over here. While there it could be changed a bit and IF it doesn't just die there it would get reported and continue on to Senate and House votes and sessions in which it could be changed a lot too. I really think this is something worth reading about and keeping a wary eye on it.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

: | +Quote Post
Team Black
post Sep 29 2010, 02:19 AM
Post #2

Core Defender
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 123
Alliance: GDI

I understand the intentions, though when has evil ever started with anything else?
Something like this would be super fragile, and could easily spin out of control

--------------------

Revolutionary
post Sep 29 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #3

Hum-vee
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,267
Alliance: CABAL

In the simplest of ways, i thougth the yanks got over there censorship phase when a large wall came down.

There are a few of these "things" flying about at the moment however like Team black said they could very easily spin out of control.

Just a point to throw out there, isnt modding almost a infringement of copyright to an extent...

--------------------
CnC-Comm.com News poster and Creator of TS:Best of Beta and Revo's Mod's

Rampastring
post Sep 29 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #4

Tick Tank
Group Icon

Member No.: 957

The thing which I'm wondering most is that how do they plan on shutting down sites operating in other countries?

Also all of these acts have always failed, for example see how many times The Pirate Bay has been tried to shut down. I'm not a pirate myself; I've never downloaded a single movie or game, but these acts won't prevent pirates for getting stuff for free.

--------------------

Ixith
post Sep 29 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #5

Cyborg Reaper
Group Icon

Member No.: 27

QUOTE (Revolutionary @ Sep 29 2010, 11:18 AM) *
Just a point to throw out there, isnt modding almost a infringement of copyright to an extent...

technically...yes. lol
but some companies makes things like mod packs for their players to use to mod the games now. So at what point would they draw that line? As i'm sure they won't set each and every case to review as that would take too long for their desired effects.

but yea this is being reviewed by Committee now where it's likely to just die, or get changed to fit what they see is 'desirable, or it could change and die. Regardless it has some time before the senate or house even votes on it if it makes it that far.

--------------------

Rampastring
post Sep 29 2010, 07:31 PM
Post #6

Tick Tank
Group Icon

Member No.: 957

QUOTE (Ixith @ Sep 29 2010, 10:04 PM) *
technically...yes. lol
but some companies makes things like mod packs for their players to use to mod the games now. So at what point would they draw that line?

I think that for games which have Mod SDK's, you are not allowed to modify and distribute the original executables of the game/engine which you're creating the mod for. You must stick with whatever modding capabilities the SDK gives to you (I'm not an expert in these things though, so I could be wrong) and you shouldn't modify content which came with the original game. As far as I know things like ETS etc. are illegal, and it's even stated in this forum's rules, but EA condones them.

This post has been edited by ^Rampastein: Sep 29 2010, 07:33 PM

--------------------

2kool4u526
post Sep 29 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #7

Attack Buggy
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,553
Alliance: CABAL

QUOTE (^Rampastein @ Sep 29 2010, 10:28 AM) *
The thing which I'm wondering most is that how do they plan on shutting down sites operating in other countries?

(using the pirate bay for an example)

The U.S. can't go over to germany and shut down the pirate bay's server
What I think they will do by enacting this is destroy net neutrality, they will force the internet companies into blocking your internet from going onto www.thepiratebay.org or any other site where you can get anything illegal
And enacting this (and destroying net neutrality) is a real D-Bag thing to do, it's literally taking a big freedom away from us, thats the kind of think the soviet russia, fascist germany, or any form of a totalitarian gov't would do.
I also think someone posted something on here about net neutrality already.

This post has been edited by 2kool4u526: Sep 29 2010, 10:21 PM

--------------------
Transferring Files...
Initiating, Please stand by...

Welcome
       to the
BOT DESTROYERv 5.26
(GAMEZER EDITION)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:25 PM

XGhozt.com