IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> (***) how to create SHP units with 3dsmax, now with building foundation example
Lin Kuei Ominae
post Jan 5 2007, 09:49 PM
Post #1

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 281
Alliance: CABAL
Favorite game: Tiberian Sun

This is a tutorial showing how i create SHP units.
It's probably not the best way but the result is still good.(i hope so :biggrin: )

\EDIT
This is a faster way that IcySon55 told me. For this you need XCC_Utils_U.zip from CNCVK, who updated the original XCC Utilities. This is necessary because the original version has problems with the png file format, causing crashes.
To install it, just overwrite the original files with the one from vk.

Step Nr1: Create a 3dmodel
Like described in the old method, but now render the frames in 24 bit PNG file format without Alpha Channel.
Attached Image
Also added is an example 3dsmax file showing some better camera settings:Attached File  StreetLight.zip ( 26.61K ) Number of downloads: 364

\EDIT Here is a zip with 5 3dsmax files showing different foundation sizes for buildings in the common TS shp sizes (96x96pixel=2x2TScells,144x144=3x3,192x192=4x4,240x240=5x5,288x288=6x6):Attached File  LKOfoundations.zip ( 87.14K ) Number of downloads: 417

The lights are now linked to the camera without bones. The only thing that turns is the camera itself.
Another hint: If you make Shadowframes use a Density of 1000. It creates shadows with the color 255,0,255 and after shp conversion it's very simple to change all shadows with shpbuilder to the shadowcolor #1. Step Nr2 becomes obsolete this way.

If you give the rendered frames already the correct filename in 3dsmax, the renaming step isn't necessary too. Just make sure that the image frames start with index 0 and the shadowframes follow them without a gap in the numeration with the same filename.

Current Result:
-many pictures in 24bit PNG-format representing the frames of the unit

Step Nr2: convert the sequence with xcc-mixer into a shp unit.
Open cncvk's updated xcc mixer and convert the sequence into an SHP(TS) file. Be sure that the sequence you convert is the only one in the directory, because vk's mixer still has some problems with multiple different named sequences.

Step Nr3: finishing work with shp-builder
Right now all shadow frames use color #204. Go to the first shadow frame, choose the color selector, click on the shadow, press alt+a, choose for the "replace color" the shadow color with index #1.
If you rendered all frames with a green (rgb 0,255,0) background, you can also remove the same way very easy holes in the SHP caused by a wrong conversion of a black pixel into the black color#0 which is transparent ingame. Just replace every black (color #0) pixel with color#62 (But only on the image frames, not the shadow frames). Then convert the green background color to color #0. This way you'll never get holes and can make pure black unit-parts.
Look out here for further information about the color palette.

\EDIT END
___________________________old method______________________________

First and most important you need 3dsmax since this is the program i use to create SHP units.
Then you need some extra picture editing programs. I use Corel Photopaint and IrfanView. Irfanview is free, but not Photopaint. As an alternative for Photopaint you can use any program that can convert the color palette from a picture into a user defined one. And it should support a batch conversion because you have to do the palette conversion for more than 100 single pictures.

Step Nr1: Create a 3dmodel
Since it needs quite some experience and 3dsmax is a very complex program i wont explain how to model in
3dsmax here.
But i offer you this way all my 3dsmax files i used to create my ATST.
Attached File  ATSTmax.zip ( 279.02K ) Number of downloads: 396

In the zip are 2 max files and all textures i use.
One max file with the unit textured in Nod colors (ATST_1walk) and one with the unit complete black (ATST_z1walkshad).
The first one ATST_1walk.max is for the unit itself and all the single frames (for walking and standing).
The second one ATST_z1walkshad.max is for the shadow of the unit. For this, the unit is black in a material
that doesn't allows shadows on it, and the ground is textured in a black material that allows shadows. The
light_source Omni01_Shadow has the Shadow Parameters for the purple shadows with a high Density. The result is, that only the shadows are visible.

The Camera and the light sources (one for the ambient light, one for the shadows), are connected with bones. Because it is easier to rotate the camera/lights around the unit, than the whole unit with his different animated bodyparts.

The atst_1walk which is used for the normal frames, includes all materials i use to create GDI units too.
And in the zip are all my textures i used for my units.

Once you have created the unit and animated it with bones, you can render it into the different frames from
the 8 directions. For turrets you have to rotate the camera in 32 steps (11,25° each) instead of 8 steps
(45°) around the centre.

If you have the unit rendered with both files, once with textures and once with the shadow frames the second
part begins.

Current Result:
-many pictures in 24bit BMP-format representing the frames of the unit

Step Nr2: Adjust the color for the shadow frames (takes only about a minute, once you know how to do it)
Because the rendered shadowframes purple color is too dark compared to the purple in the TS unittem palette (that is the shadow color for TS) i adjust the frames with Irfanview.
For this i take the batch conversion tool from Irfanview.
Attached Image
Add all shadowframes to the Input files:
Attached Image
and start the Batch conversion with the settings defined under "Set advanced options".
Attached Image
First i raise the saturation of the frames to maximum. For this i repeat this batch conversion 3 or 4 times.
Then all frames have a pure purple color and the background a pure black.
Then i reload all frames again in the batch conversion and change the advanced options to reduce the
brightness about a value of -85 for all frames.
Attached Image
The result is, that all shadow frames have nearly the same color as the purple in the TS unittem palette and
the palette conversion from Corel Photopaint doesn't mix up the colors.

Render result from 3dsmax:Attached Image
Saturation raised through 3-4 repeatsAttached Image
Brightness fixed to final resultAttached Image

Current Result:
-many pictures in 24bit BMP-format representing the frames of the unit
-adjusted shadowframes purple-values to fit with the TS unittem shadow purple

Step Nr3: Palette Conversion for all frames (dependent on your cpu takes about 1-5 minutes)
It is necessary to convert all frames into the same palette. Else XCC-mixer can't convert them into a single
shp unit and mixes up the colors of the unitframes.
For this i take Corel Photopaint.
This has a batch conversion and can load userdefined scripts that get used for the conversion.
I created a script using my modified unittem.pal to convert the palette of a picture. In this palette i
converted all red colors to green, except the remap red color. (palette included in the zip from above too "unitpalm.pal")
Else the palette conversion would mix them up and remap red becomes non-remap red and vice-versa.
Original:Attached Image Modified:Attached Image

Now you can convert all single frames with the batch conversion into pcx format using the modified unittem
palette.

Current Result:
-many pictures in 8bit PCX-format representing the frames of the unit, using all the same modified unittem palette

Step Nr4: rename all frames to a single sequence (takes only 1-5 seconds dependant on your cpu)
To convert the frames into a single shp unit you have to rename them into a single sequence with the
following syntax: UNITNAME XXXX.pcx while xxxx is a number counting up from 0000.
For that you can use Irfanview again.
Irfanview has in the batch conversion an option batch rename.
Attached Image
But now you have to watch out for the right order of the frames in the final sequence. Take a look on
original units with XCC mixer how those are ordered.
The most important to know is: first normal frames, then shadow frames. In the end you can still define where what kind of sequence starts and how long each one is in the art.ini.

Step Nr5: convert the sequence with xcc-mixer into a shp unit.
There are already some tutorials how to do this so i wont explain it again.
But at least it's only a right click and a click on copy as SHP (TS). :biggrin:

Done, your unit is ready to use.
Step Nr6: modify some minor mistakes caused by the renderer
sometimes some small details aren't rendered in an optimal way (like eyes from my redeemer aren't rendered at all or bigger than expected). Also it can happen that a very dark unit part gets converted into background black while palette conversion and causes holes in the unit. For this you can now use the SHP-Builder to fix the minor problems.

You can now create a cameo for the sidebar using your existing 3dmodel with a different camera perspective
and the standard TS iconbackground.
zip with blank backgrounds:Attached File  blankicons.zip ( 7.15K ) Number of downloads: 337

I hope this helps and have fun creating SHP units

This post has been edited by Lin Kuei Ominae: Sep 12 2008, 09:44 AM

--------------------
Co-Leader of Twisted Insurrection
my public units for you
Nod units:____________________________GDI units:
Nod Scorpion__________________________GDI 3A Kodiak
Nod Tachyon Tank______________________GDI Medusa (Triple Cannon Mech)
Nod Goliath___________________________GDI Behemoth (medium size Mech)
Nod Cobra (fast medium mech)__________GDI Battleship Aurora
Nod Siegebot (light MG-Mech)__________GDI Fortress Tower (Heavy Base Defense)
Nod Redeemer (4 legged heavy Cyborg)__GDI Triton (Titan support Mech)
Nod/Scrin WotW Tripod_________________GDI Exciter
______________________________________GDI Ion Charge Collector
Misc and Fun units:
X-Mech Calendar 28 SHP Units
Star Wars Mechs ATAT/ATST
Cyborg Barrack on PPM_________________Mech Factory
Mutant Tiberium Flyer
yt1300 (Millenium Falcon + BIG version)

if you use my units in your mod, please credit me.if you want to use my units on your website please ask me before.
Go to the top of the page

: | +Quote Post
Blacksilence
post Jan 6 2007, 09:21 AM
Post #2

Light Tank
Group Icon

Member No.: 67
Alliance: Nod

Very useful Thanks Lko.
And do you know something about buildings?

--------------------

Thanks bittah for the sig .
Love MLRS, its the worlds most dangerous artillery.
Tibweb forum Mod Leader of VENGEANCE
TS/V Trailer Progress 20%
The Explosion Expert

Creagor
post Jan 6 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #3

Flame Tank
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 40
Alliance: GDI

Nice tutorial. I expect to see more high-quality SHP's apperaing all of a sudden...

--------------------

Fluent in |3375p3k, 68 65 78 65 64 65 63 69 6d 61 6c, ebg13, -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . --..-- and 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 0111100100101110
(Whoever translates that gets nothing, just +1 on thier geek score)

Lin Kuei Ominae
post Jan 6 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #4

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

QUOTE (Black hawk @ Jan 6 2007, 10:21 AM) *
And do you know something about buildings?

They work quite the same like units. You can still use the camera and lights.
The only difference is, that you dont rotate the camera.
To find out how big the foundation in 3dsmax has to be, to work good in TS is trial and error.
You can still use the textures, but sometimes it could be useful to change them slightly, to have the result in a better TS style. (e.g. lighten/darken them up, change the color,the glossiness etc) Or make complete new materials for your very own style.

Another hint: change the FOV (Field of View) value of the camera to zoom in and out, for a better size adjustment. So you dont have to resize the whole unit/building. If the Camera view becomes to perspectively, your model is too big and stands too close in front of the camera. For that change the scale of the Bone "Bone Camera Midpoint" to 200% or even 1000%.
To have a C&C typical view the whole model doesn't have to have a perspective look, thats why the camera is that far away from the model.

For buildings and big units it is sometimes better to have them some pixel lowered in the final frames(in the pictures). For that you can move the Camera.Target and the Bone "Bone Camera Midpoint" slightly upwards. This way the unit/building gets lowered in the rendered frames. (For buildings also usefull to have them centred)
But at least you have to try a bit around to find the best result.
I also started my barracks finding the best settings for my foundation and then began creating the building on top of it.

This post has been edited by Lin Kuei Ominae: Jan 6 2007, 05:42 PM

--------------------
my public units for you
Misc and Fun units:
Mutant Tiberium Flyer

if you use my units in your mod, please credit me.if you want to use my units on your website please ask me before.

Blacksilence
post Jan 6 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #5

Light Tank
Group Icon

Member No.: 67

Thanks lko, your a great helper.

--------------------

Thanks bittah for the sig .
Love MLRS, its the worlds most dangerous artillery.
Tibweb forum Mod Leader of VENGEANCE
TS/V Trailer Progress 20%
The Explosion Expert

ORCACommander
post Jan 7 2007, 12:18 AM
Post #6

SSM Launcher
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

Heres a link to where you can get 3ds max for free: 3ds Max 7.0

--------------------

Lin Kuei Ominae
post Nov 6 2007, 03:06 PM
Post #7

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

Tutorial updated. Thanks to IcySon55 who helped me to improve this.
It's now much faster, some steps fall apart and reduces overall the amount of work.

--------------------
my public units for you
Misc and Fun units:
Mutant Tiberium Flyer

vOi!king ship
post Nov 6 2007, 06:42 PM
Post #8

Wolverine
Group Icon

Member No.: 36
Favorite game: Tiberian Dawn

So, the hard part now is...the 3D model itself and the art.ini stuff?

Damn, what will come next? tongue.gif

Thanks LKO and IcySon55 for this tut. I found the old one usefull, but this one is even better smile.gif

--------------------

Machine
post Nov 7 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #9

Attack Buggy
Group Icon

Member No.: 687

@LKO:
Kewl, I guess it's time to improve (simplify) my method (though not right now, quite busy with college). Cheers, good job wink1.gif

@z:
Well,IMO, the hard part is animating the model; not really, animating itself is easy, a good animation is difficult.
And about what will come next, I guess that incredible things will tongue.gif

--------------------

NodTrooper
post May 17 2008, 02:02 AM
Post #10

Disc Thrower
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,050

This all hurts my head, how are you supposed to even get off your feet with modding when things are so freaking tidious. Not even using Google Sketchpad is this tideious!

Lin Kuei Ominae
post Sep 12 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #11

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

I've updated the first post with a zip that has 3dsmax files showing the camera/light settings for different building foundation sizes.
Included are
96x96 pixel which represents a 2x2 foundation in TS
144x144 pixel for a 3x3 foundation
192x192 pixel for a 4x4 foundation
240x240 pixel for a 5x5 foundation
288x288 pixel for a 6x6 foundation

These are the maximum quadratic foundations that are possible in the respective SHP size. e.g. If you want to create a warfactory with a 4x3 foundation you should use the 192x192 example.
If you create buildings you should stay over the cells and don't go further to the side, or units could move into this part of the building.
The plane "Cell01" represents a TS cell in its full size. the other cells have chamfered edges so they are easier to seperate and they show how a building should end on the outer corners, so units have enough space to pass them if they walk from south to north or east to west.

This post has been edited by Lin Kuei Ominae: Sep 12 2008, 10:03 AM

--------------------
my public units for you
Misc and Fun units:
Mutant Tiberium Flyer

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:25 PM

XGhozt.com