post Aug 20 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #1

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 281
Alliance: CABAL
Favorite game: Tiberian Sun

I've now encountered already on several different missions a special change in the game behaviour and want to know if anyone knows how it was done.

The first is in mission scb11ea /eb: There you have to capture the tech centre so you are able to build the stealth tank. How was it done that the stealth tank has for this mission a different prerequisite?
The second is in mission scb12ea: There you have to capture the normally uncapturable adv. comm. centre.
The third is in mission scg07ea: How does the game remember which building you destroyed in the previous mission, in case you don't destroy the airfield with your commando?
On some other missions they also changed the name of the technology centre to prison.

Are all these special changes hardcoded or is there any way to reproduce them in self-made maps?

This post has been edited by Lin Kuei Ominae: Aug 20 2009, 06:15 PM

--------------------
Co-Leader of Twisted Insurrection
my public units for you
Nod units:____________________________GDI units:
Nod Scorpion__________________________GDI 3A Kodiak
Nod Tachyon Tank______________________GDI Medusa (Triple Cannon Mech)
Nod Goliath___________________________GDI Behemoth (medium size Mech)
Nod Cobra (fast medium mech)__________GDI Battleship Aurora
Nod Siegebot (light MG-Mech)__________GDI Fortress Tower (Heavy Base Defense)
Nod Redeemer (4 legged heavy Cyborg)__GDI Triton (Titan support Mech)
Nod/Scrin WotW Tripod_________________GDI Exciter
______________________________________GDI Ion Charge Collector
Misc and Fun units:
X-Mech Calendar 28 SHP Units
Star Wars Mechs ATAT/ATST
Cyborg Barrack on PPM_________________Mech Factory
Mutant Tiberium Flyer
yt1300 (Millenium Falcon + BIG version)

if you use my units in your mod, please credit me.if you want to use my units on your website please ask me before.
Go to the top of the page

: | +Quote Post
Corsair
post Aug 20 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #2

Ghost Stalker
Group Icon

Member No.: 87
Alliance: GDI

QUOTE (Lin Kuei Ominae @ Aug 20 2009, 02:11 PM) *
The third is in mission scg07ea: How does the game remember which building you destroyed in the previous mission, in case you don't destroy the airfield with your commando?

Does it not just send you to a separate level depending on which building you've destroyed? Such as, in Mission 1, if you destroy one building it sends you to Mission 2A, if you destroy the other it sends you to Mission 2B. Or perhaps your meaning that the airfield is not a major target, in which case I would assume it still operates the same way. Objective completed with airfield intact, it sends you to Mission 2A. Objective completed with airfield destroyed, it sends you to Mission 2B. Hopefully that was easy to understand.

This post has been edited by Corsair: Aug 20 2009, 06:18 PM

--------------------

Epitoma Rei Militaris - Flavius Vegetius Renatus
All My Voxels - Gemini Mech

Lin Kuei Ominae
post Aug 20 2009, 08:00 PM
Post #3

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

No, it's always the same map file scg07ea as there exists only this one.
If you don't destroy the airfield you have to play mission scg07ea.

In this mission you'll find the exact same base as in scg06ea.
However the game remembers exactly which building you've destroyed in 06 and removes right this one when starting 07.

If you destroy the conyard in 06, you start 07 and Nod has no conyard.
if you destroy the refinery, Nod has to rebuild the refinery in 07.
etc

This post has been edited by Lin Kuei Ominae: Aug 20 2009, 08:07 PM

--------------------
my public units for you
Misc and Fun units:
Mutant Tiberium Flyer

if you use my units in your mod, please credit me.if you want to use my units on your website please ask me before.

Nyerguds
post Aug 24 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #4

Cyborg
Group Icon

Member No.: 97
Alliance: Nod
Favorite game: Tiberian Dawn

I've looked at that code.

As for the GDI mission 6 thing, well, every time a building is destroyed, it stores that building's ID in a special memory location. This is checked after mission 6, and if it's the Airfield's ID, it adds 2 to the mission number instead of just 1.

This value is also used to unlock the special GDI ending with the ion cannon, though it checks some more stuff for that.

I'll look into the mission 7 stuff though. Never heard that theory before. The new all-reveal code I found will help to confirm or disprove this.

There's other stuff like this, like the fact all GDI-helicopters 'sleep' in Nod mission 7, so allow the player to capture the Orca. I've changed this option to a mission-specific ini key in C&C95 v1.06c

[edit]

Holy crap, you're right. The building is gone in mission 7. Awesome smile.gif

It seems that it only works for buildings of which they only have one though, like the CY, hand of Nod, radar, refinery. The power plants and silo had no effect.

I think this is because it simply blocks the reading of that building type from the ini in the next mission. I'll test this by adding a second Nod (or even GDI) CY on mission 7 and trying it out again, and see if other buildings of the removed type do appear.

[edit again]

lol this is bizarre... the first Nod building of that type read from the ini was removed. When I added 2 other CYs to the top of the buildings list, a GDI and a Nod one, only the Nod one I added was removed. The one in the enemy base was still there. When I switched the buildings around on the list, the one in their base disappeared and the other one remained.

Apparently it reads the ini keys in the order they're put in the ini, and not by number... odd tongue.gif

[edit yet again]

Oh this is funny... the buildings (and units and infantry too probably) in the ini don't need numbers before them at all. They just need SOME unique string before them, and numbers are the easiest. I replaced one of the numbers by "boo", and the building still appeared on the map. I noticed before when debugging that the game seems to have a way to simply "make a list of all keys in a section" and then go though them one by one. It doesn't even check the first part.

This post has been edited by Nyerguds: Aug 24 2009, 10:00 PM

--------------------

Lin Kuei Ominae
post Aug 24 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #5

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

it's both, good and bad to hear it's hardcoded.
good that i haven't missed any mapping trick
bad that it's not reproducible on other maps.

thanks for the infos Nyerguds.

--------------------
my public units for you
Misc and Fun units:
Mutant Tiberium Flyer

Nyerguds
post Aug 24 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #6

Cyborg
Group Icon

The advanced comm thing is actually opposite. The building is ALWAYS capturable, but in any single player mission with a number above 12 the MOUSE function to show the capture cursor blocks you from giving the capture command. In the mission "Infiltrated" I tested that this is really only for the player; the AI could still capture my ACC since it doesn't need a mouse cursor to give commands.

I'm planning to fix this in my next patch, because this has the very annoying side effect that in multiplayer, it IS capturable, which seems hardly fair since it's a superweapon.

It also has the side effect that if you place an advanced comm center in any campaign mission below #12, it's capturable.
(this might be seen as a "mapping trick", though most addon missions are played throught the covert ops menu, and these alsways have a number larger than 20)

This post has been edited by Nyerguds: Aug 24 2009, 10:08 PM

--------------------

Lin Kuei Ominae
post Aug 25 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #7

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nyerguds @ Aug 24 2009, 10:24 PM) *
[edit again]

lol this is bizarre... the first Nod building of that type read from the ini was removed. When I added 2 other CYs to the top of the buildings list, a GDI and a Nod one, only the Nod one I added was removed. The one in the enemy base was still there. When I switched the buildings around on the list, the one in their base disappeared and the other one remained.

Apparently it reads the ini keys in the order they're put in the ini, and not by number... odd tongue.gif

That's interesting. Is it possible to duplicate this effect? Could you modify the game so it has a new key for that which works in the maps ini?
A NextMission= key in the map would be also cool, so you can create mini campaigns which start with a mission in the "new missions" menu.
e.g.
Mission scg20ea.ini has
[Basic]
NextMission=scg20eb.ini

btw, the order with which the buildings are listed in the [Base] section, is also the order the AI builds the buildings. So it isn't the only place where the order is considered.

This post has been edited by Lin Kuei Ominae: Aug 25 2009, 10:22 AM

--------------------
my public units for you
Misc and Fun units:
Mutant Tiberium Flyer

Nyerguds
post Aug 25 2009, 01:49 PM
Post #8

Cyborg
Group Icon

It's just odd that not the numbers, but the actual order in the file are what matters.
I think [base] is different though. If you actually switch around 2 of the numbers, the game will switch around their rebuilding order too, even if you don't move their place in the list. [Base] is a lot more controlled, with the extra parameter to check how many buildings are in the list.

As for making that into an ini key, well, I dunno. Covert Ops have a completely different end of mission logic than the normal campaign. But if I could implement that it would give some interesting options.

It probably won't be in that format though. Internally, the data that is stored are just numbers... the campaign number, the mission number, the East/West number, and the sub-mission number (A/B/C/D/L). It would take quite some effort to write a function to get these numbers from a standard "SCX##XX" string. I could just make it load that ini, yes, but then there would be problems with saving and restarting the game since it doesn't store that actual "SCX##XX" string.

Hmm... if I do this I could add the Funpark campaigns in the New Missions list though... smile.gif
If I add another routine to suppress the score screen, and another side option to configure the radar screen, that would work perfectly. I'll have one item in the GDI and one in the Nod list, so people can choose their side, and make it use EA/EB/EC/ED/EL for the 5 missions smile.gif
(I already have code to give houses custom colours, so I can make the GDI and Nod grey in these missions)

Note that actually copying the mission 6 exception, so a mission continues to a different one if that Last Destroyed building is a certain value, is a bit harder to do... I'd have to add a key of the type

SpecialTarget=21,SCG23EB

where 21 is the ID of the building to destroy, and SCG23EB the mission to continue to. This stuff will need some seriously different coding for covert ops or campaign though, since campaigns show the mission selection screen, and the original exception just changed the mission number, and not the E/W and A/B/C number, since that was just chosen from the map.

To pull this off I'd have to look into the logic the game uses to read different comma separated values from one ini vlaue though. I've never done that before.

This post has been edited by Nyerguds: Aug 25 2009, 02:06 PM

--------------------

Lin Kuei Ominae
post Aug 25 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #9

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

It was just an idea and maybe some time in the future you find out how it works and can implement it.
Though TD is quite an old game and shouldn't be tried to be converted into a low-resolution TS. wink1.gif

It just would have been nice to have some more mapping possibilities, since it's so easy and fast to create a map in TD.

--------------------
my public units for you
Misc and Fun units:
Mutant Tiberium Flyer

Nyerguds
post Aug 25 2009, 05:16 PM
Post #10

Cyborg
Group Icon

well in C&C95 v1.06c you'll be able to change the colours of the houses in a mission biggrin.gif

http://www.commandandpatch.com/index.php?n...opic&t=3#38

--------------------

Lin Kuei Ominae
post Aug 25 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #11

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

i quote you from that site since i can't post there
QUOTE (Nyerguds @ Aug 25 2009, 06:16 PM) *
Hmm... I just found out the N64 version has a different mission for Nod mission 11EA. Seeing as I distinctly remember this mission to be practically impossible, I'm really tempted to replace it in the next patch...
(the long road you need to follow to get to the base, combined with the gunboat, the harvester and the guard towers, made it impossible to get in there. Either you avoid the harvester, or the gunboat, but never both. Bazookas are too slow to get there)

I already extracted the mission, and I'm planning to playtest it soon to make sure that the odd glitch shown in that video isn't caused by an error in the mission programming.

This mission is actually quite simple if you know about the special logics/flaws of TD.

1. distract the gunboat: move one of the southern units (i suggest a minigunner) close enough to the river, so the gunboat locks on this unit, then quickly move it far away so the gunboat can't shoot the unit. Then you can simply destroy the gunboat with your other units (rocket infs), as the gunboat won't change the target again and keeps targeting the minigunner.

2. the rocket infantry has a higher range than the guard towers and can take them out before the harvester returns. In addition can you force fire your infantry on a clear cell, so the harvester can pass by unharmed, thus it won't try to crush your infantry.

This post has been edited by Lin Kuei Ominae: Aug 25 2009, 05:55 PM

--------------------
my public units for you
Misc and Fun units:
Mutant Tiberium Flyer

Nyerguds
post Aug 26 2009, 12:16 PM
Post #12

Cyborg
Group Icon

Well, a few posts below that I already said it wasn't as hard as I remembered it being tongue.gif

QUOTE ("Nyerguds")
Well, tried the original mission again, and it wasn't too hard... just a matter of waiting until the gunboat passed and then rushing in. Attacking with my bazookas, moving on with the minigunners to distract the guard towers and then rushing my engineers and commando inside worked pretty well.

--------------------

Lin Kuei Ominae
post Aug 26 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #13

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

D'oh! Haven't seen this.

Anyway, you shouldn't change the original gameplay or missions and just enhance the game and fix some bugs. So player like me can enjoy playing the game like back in the 90s. smile.gif (I still now and then play through the campaign wink1.gif )
So please don't change the original missions (except bug fixing).
But what you could do is renaming all the covert ops missions in sc-001.mix so they start with scg20ea.ini/scb20ea.ini and are then consecutively numbered. This makes them appear always on top of the new missions menu. Then self-made maps aren't listed between them and you can simply say that new maps should get numbers starting with scg27ea / scb28ea and higher.

This post has been edited by Lin Kuei Ominae: Aug 26 2009, 03:26 PM

--------------------
my public units for you
Misc and Fun units:
Mutant Tiberium Flyer

Nyerguds
post Aug 26 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #14

Cyborg
Group Icon

Yeah, I thought about that too... people always choose map numbers beyond the covert ops, and quite a few are lost that way.

--------------------

Lin Kuei Ominae
post Aug 31 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #15

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nyerguds @ Aug 24 2009, 09:24 PM) *
There's other stuff like this, like the fact all GDI-helicopters 'sleep' in Nod mission 7, so allow the player to capture the Orca. I've changed this option to a mission-specific ini key in C&C95 v1.06c

i always used a separate house for this
e.g.
Player=BadGuy
Computer=GoodGuy

[BadGuy]
Allies=BadGuy

[GoodGuy]
Allies=GoodGuy,Special

[Special] ([Multi5] or [Neutral] work too as they have the same GDI remap)
Allies=Special,GoodGuy,BadGuy

[STRUCTURES]
000=Special,HPAD,256,100,0,None

BadGuy is enemy to Special so the player can capture the hpad, while the hpad is special and ally to badguy. So the helicopter won't attack the player.
The result is pretty much the same. A capturable helipad with a passive helicopter.
But this way you can have both. Some helis which attack the player and some which stay passive. I assume your key would make them all sleep, so with your method you can't have both.

This post has been edited by Lin Kuei Ominae: Aug 31 2009, 12:55 PM

--------------------
my public units for you
Misc and Fun units:
Mutant Tiberium Flyer

Nyerguds
post Aug 31 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #16

Cyborg
Group Icon

Yeah, that's indeed a classic approach. But with that method, there will be inconsistencies in the score screen because the building isn't counted because it's not true GDI or Nod. Not to mention, if it's supposed to be Nod, you'll always see the wrong unit colour.

I'm just trying to change all mission exceptions of this kind into ini keys so they can be used in other missions too.

QUOTE (Lin Kuei Ominae @ Aug 31 2009, 02:46 PM) *
I assume your key would make them all sleep, so with your method you can't have both.

Except if I add 2 new triggers to enable and disable the option at will tongue.gif
Then you can do some really nice stuff like making the helis "wake up", or "sabotage" them biggrin.gif

"sabotaging" helis won't really work though; even 'sleeping' helicopters will retaliate when you attack them. That's because this "passive helicopters" exception is simply in the code to change the helicopters' "Guard" command to "Area Guard" if they're owned by an AI player. So even if this makes sure they're not put on "Area Guard", they're still on "Guard" just like the player's helis. And like any AI unit you attack, they'll retaliate.

This post has been edited by Nyerguds: Aug 31 2009, 04:38 PM

--------------------

Lin Kuei Ominae
post Aug 31 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #17

Stealth Tank
Group Icon

Is there any chance you can get Trigger work on aircraft?

I once tried "Create Team" on 2 orcas, but the AI didn't start the orcas and let them fly to a waypoint.
Right now you can only use them as base guardians due to their high guardrange or by reinforcements as an attack team. Though in this case it can happen that after a while the AI's base is full of orcas, if they aren't used or back from their attack.

That's why it would be a lot better if the AI actually builds them and also rebuilds them if they are destroyed.

--------------------
my public units for you
Misc and Fun units:
Mutant Tiberium Flyer

Nyerguds
post Sep 2 2009, 01:08 PM
Post #18

Cyborg
Group Icon

Hmm... team control is hard to figure out. I don't have any data on that, sorry. And I don't have a clue if it's possible to make the AI build them either.

This post has been edited by Nyerguds: Sep 2 2009, 01:11 PM

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:48 PM

XGhozt.com